1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

how to protect chrome wheels in winter?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by fyremanpat, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    fyremanpat

fyremanpat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC LB TRD Sport w/Entune
    OME 886x and 5100's all the way around. Toytec AAL. Phillips x-treme vision headlights. 886 reverse lights. Borla exhaust. 20% tint. Hi 6 mod. 285/65/18 Nitto TG on 18" Moto Metal 955's. Airaid intake. Scanguage2.JBA LT's.GC Grill..more to come.
    i use chrome polish on my wheels at least every few weeks and recently we had snow here and they salted the roads...long story short the wheels already pitted some. they're only a few months old...wtf?

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    SC400stuff

SC400stuff Pale Griot

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    In a 4X8 cardboard box
    Vehicle:
    lexusdata@gmail.com
    I suggest getting a winter set of wheels and tires that you don't have to worry about. They HAVE to look cool though...;)

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    Runn0r

Runn0r Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunn0r
    I had some 18X9" chrome wheels on my ranger when I was a teenager. I worked so hard to buy them...so when winter came, I always took them off and stacked them up in my room. I kept my stock wheels for this. Salt is definitely the enemy! I diddint put them back on until spring had come and a few rains had cleared the roads of salt.

One trick I did use one time when I was caught in snow with the chrome on was to completely drench the rim in WD40. This helped to protect the chrome quite well. Just dont spray wD all over your caliper..... it burns off of the rotor pretty easily, but I would try and put a rag between the wheel and caliper if you ever use WD. its a good emergency spray for chrome.

4. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    BARTRD

BARTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Monroe, Ga
    Vehicle:
    '07 RR TRD Sport
    Volant CAI with optional skoop, Magna-Flow exhaust, K&N drop-in air filter, WeatherTechs, Wet Okole, kenwood navigation head unit, de-badged, 15% tint all around, factory roof rack fitted with Thule fairing, billy 5100 on all 4 corners, ICON AAL, n-fab light bar with 4 hella 500s, rear lights mounted under bumper
    :anonymous:Plastidip! Just peel it back off in the spring... Problem solved

5. Feb 4, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    X2. Probably your most cost effective solution.

6. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    You might get lucky and have the manufacturer replace them. Best bet is to have a set of winter wheels.

7. Feb 8, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Mods are currently being changed .....
    Just like any area of your vehicle, it can be ruined with neglect. The trick is to clean, clean, clean.
    You can apply a coat of Wheel Wax (wheel specific, or use collinite 845) to make washing them easier but you still need to wash the wheels often to remove salt and road grime. Unfortunately for those who live in areas that get hit w/ ice and snow the DPW trucks hammer the roads and make vehicle maintenance a pain in the ass.

8. May 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    Back in the days of "chrome reverse" wheels on hot rods, and spokes, we would mix in a spray bottle 50% "Future" floor wax and 50% warm water. You have to start with clean wheels, then mist the mixture all over the wheels. Use a piece of cardboard or cling wrap to cover the rotors if you want, but I found that hitting the breaks one good time, even if there was some wax on them will burn right off and wont affect the braking. (I know some of the techies will argue - but that is my story and I am sticking with it). Anyway, that way you also get all of your lug nuts and such waxed at the same time.

On my truck I have powder coated wheels, and they are a pain to wax, so I use this mixture on them and they repel water, brake dust and everything. Washing my wheels I have a soft brush about 4"x4" and I just hit them with the same car wash soap (I wash my wheels last), and I am good to go!

Good luck!

trdcentercap_bca118abb8017b8befbb142a366029ae75864499.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top