Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

how to protect chrome wheels in winter?

Old 02-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
how to protect chrome wheels in winter?

i use chrome polish on my wheels at least every few weeks and recently we had snow here and they salted the roads...long story short the wheels already pitted some. they're only a few months old...wtf?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Pale Griot
SC400stuff is a splendid one to beholdSC400stuff is a splendid one to beholdSC400stuff is a splendid one to beholdSC400stuff is a splendid one to beholdSC400stuff is a splendid one to beholdSC400stuff is a splendid one to beholdSC400stuff is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jonathan
SC400stuff's Tacoma Gallery
I suggest getting a winter set of wheels and tires that you don't have to worry about. They HAVE to look cool though...
Old 02-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I had some 18X9" chrome wheels on my ranger when I was a teenager. I worked so hard to buy them...so when winter came, I always took them off and stacked them up in my room. I kept my stock wheels for this. Salt is definitely the enemy! I diddint put them back on until spring had come and a few rains had cleared the roads of salt.

One trick I did use one time when I was caught in snow with the chrome on was to completely drench the rim in WD40. This helped to protect the chrome quite well. Just dont spray wD all over your caliper..... it burns off of the rotor pretty easily, but I would try and put a rag between the wheel and caliper if you ever use WD. its a good emergency spray for chrome.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARTRD View Post
Plastidip! Just peel it back off in the spring... Problem solved
X2. Probably your most cost effective solution.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
You might get lucky and have the manufacturer replace them. Best bet is to have a set of winter wheels.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Just like any area of your vehicle, it can be ruined with neglect. The trick is to clean, clean, clean.
You can apply a coat of Wheel Wax (wheel specific, or use collinite 845) to make washing them easier but you still need to wash the wheels often to remove salt and road grime. Unfortunately for those who live in areas that get hit w/ ice and snow the DPW trucks hammer the roads and make vehicle maintenance a pain in the ass.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Back in the days of "chrome reverse" wheels on hot rods, and spokes, we would mix in a spray bottle 50% "Future" floor wax and 50% warm water. You have to start with clean wheels, then mist the mixture all over the wheels. Use a piece of cardboard or cling wrap to cover the rotors if you want, but I found that hitting the breaks one good time, even if there was some wax on them will burn right off and wont affect the braking. (I know some of the techies will argue - but that is my story and I am sticking with it). Anyway, that way you also get all of your lug nuts and such waxed at the same time.

On my truck I have powder coated wheels, and they are a pain to wax, so I use this mixture on them and they repel water, brake dust and everything. Washing my wheels I have a soft brush about 4"x4" and I just hit them with the same car wash soap (I wash my wheels last), and I am good to go!

Good luck!