Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Wax under Painted stickers on my 2012 taco

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Bendecco is on a distinguished road
Name: Warren
Bendecco's Tacoma Gallery
Wax under Painted stickers on my 2012 taco

I've been detailing my whole life and just can't seem to figure out how to remove the wax residue from underneath the edge of these painted stickers on my truck....

My chick has an 06 4 runner and it takes me 1/2 the time to clay, polish and wax/seal the paint....

Any suggestions? I love the truck but it's such a PIA to detail I'm just about over it....

I normally wash every week and wax every month.....

Thanks in advance for any help.....I have 3 paint brushes I use for the cracks but when I use them on the stickers the hairs get stuck under them and break off......Warren
Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Painted stickers?
Pics?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
I'm working right now and don't have my truck but they are stickers that appear to be there to protect the paint...

They are thick and placed near the wheel wells....

Polish and wax gets stuck in the edges and I can't get it out
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
There is also a small strip of the same painted sticker wrapped around the edge of the doors
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
I get that too.

Clear 3M Film is the name I believe.

I clean by pressing hard along the edge with wax buffing cloth press on seam with a fingernail.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
My truck is dark grey and it shows up really bad...
Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
The slowest build EVER!!
MI4x4Toy will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
MI4x4Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Can't say I've had this problem waxing the truck...odd that the brushes would get stuck also. I picked up a small detail brush from I think Napa and its got a sharp rubber edge that does wonders taking the wax off the edge of objects like the 3M film.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
tsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to beholdtsup74 is a splendid one to behold

tsup74's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendecco View Post
I've been detailing my whole life and just can't seem to figure out how to remove the wax residue from underneath the edge of these painted stickers on my truck....

My chick has an 06 4 runner and it takes me 1/2 the time to clay, polish and wax/seal the paint....

Any suggestions? I love the truck but it's such a PIA to detail I'm just about over it....

I normally wash every week and wax every month.....

Thanks in advance for any help.....I have 3 paint brushes I use for the cracks but when I use them on the stickers the hairs get stuck under them and break off......Warren

Use a super soft tooth brush....... It won't scratch the paint, yet it will remove the residue.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendecco View Post
I'm working right now and don't have my truck but they are stickers that appear to be there to protect the paint...

They are thick and placed near the wheel wells....

Polish and wax gets stuck in the edges and I can't get it out
Okay, got you. The "painted" threw me off...I keep all my old tooth brushes and use them to clean hard to reach areas, and also places like these stickers. If you brush perpendicular to the surface (as opposed to trying to get diagonally into the "corner" between the sticker edge and truck surface, the bristles should not go in under the sticker. In addition to wax, I had mold growing along the those edges, and that was even harder to get rid of than the wax.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Got it.......appreciate the info....

I'll def be giving the toothbrush a try, the brush I'm using now (I believe it's a cut
Down horse hair paintbrush) isn't getting it out good enough....