Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

smoker smell

Old 02-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
macanic is on a distinguished road
Name: JERRY
macanic's Tacoma Gallery
smoker smell

Got a 2009 Tacoma from a dealer where the previous owner smoked.

Whats the best way to get rid of smell. Not real bad but noticeable especially on fan startup.

Putting in a Hepa/carbon cabin filter, hope this works.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #2
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I smoke, but not in the truck, cause I don't like the smell, go figure.

Anyway, your best bet is to clean the seats and carpet. Use a decent spot or carpet cleaner. If your really wanting it clean, take the seats out and carpet out and give a good scrubbing. That's where most of your smell is going to come from, the fabrics. Fabreeze does wonders too, if you can't do what I said above.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend getting the interior detailed.. it may cost a little bit of cash, but they shampoo the seats and carpet and it will help somewhat. The hepa filter will probably help the smell a little. You might try sticking a dryer sheet in the vent... we did this in my college dorm back in the day because it always smelled like shit.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Put small (about 8oz) perforated bags of ground coffee under each seat for a couple of weeks, repeat until the smell is gone.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #5
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
As said above... You have to give it a good cleaning. If you have access to a steam cleaner, It will make things easier to get the best results. Don't forget the headliner... My mom smokes in her Camry and the headliner has began to sag just over the driver seat so obviously since smoke rises it is going to stick up there as well.

I'm a smoker too but not in my truck or Impala... But my brother has smoked a few times in my Impala when I let him borrow it for a week (I was pissed). But I used tuff stuff or equal on the seats, carpet and headliner and sprayed a ton of febreeze over the entire interior and that seems to have worked in my case. Although it was just a week of smoking in, not 4 years...
Old 02-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
macanic's Tacoma Gallery
smoker

Thanks for the ideas, going to try them all will post best results.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
Mpgillespie is on a distinguished road
Army: Blackhawk Helicopter Mechanic
Mpgillespie's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a used car a few years ago that was smoked in, took it to get detailed and no more smoke smell. They removed the carpet and cleaned out the vents. I was amazed they got the smell out. Cost me about $175. Well worth it IMO. Good luck
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
Find someone that can do a Drivepur treatment.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Put small (about 8oz) perforated bags of ground coffee under each seat for a couple of weeks, repeat until the smell is gone.

This works.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Taco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco76087 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Taco76087's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a used Honda in August and took the seats out and steam cleaned them as well as steam cleaned the carpet with carpet shampoo made for animal odors and cigarette smoke. I also sprayed Ozium I believe it is called every day for a few days and left dryer sheets in the door cubies and under the seats, It's been smoke free since and you couldn't tell it was ever a smoker car.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the seats, steam clean them and the carpet.

Let the truck sit open for a day.

Enjoy lack of cigarette smoke. I'm a chimney and not even the most anti tobacco females in my life can detect the smell following this method.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I have heard of doing this with bags of charcoal, its supposed to act like a carbon filter of sorts.

I would start by getting a bag of charcoal or 2 and putting them in bowls or pans under the seat replace every couple weeks till the smell is gone, and keep you windows open as much as possible
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
allthom is on a distinguished road
allthom's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely shampoo everything, I work in a detail shop and we do this to used cars followed by a spray on treatment that eliminates odor.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
macanic's Tacoma Gallery
Smoke smell

The coffee works a miracle, Thanks for all the replies
Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #15
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Febreze, febreze, febreze.
All over everything. Headliner included. Every time you're in and out of the vehicle.

It takes a week or so but it works.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
CSocal is on a distinguished road
CSocal's Tacoma Gallery
I would steam or hot water extract the seats, headliner, floormats and carpet. That should help, but you may need to have a professional detailer/detailing shop use an Ozone machine to completely de-odorize the cab. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #17
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Put an open bowl of white distilled vinegar in your truck for a day or overnight with the windows shut.

Preferably done in the sun on a hot day.

It's worked miracles for me in the past.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Rsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRsoxfan1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Rsoxfan1's Tacoma Gallery
Coffee works then get a frebreze scented cabin filter....
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
My wifes car was owned by a heavy smoker. Its been 6 months and the smell is finally gone. Replace the cabin air filter first. Then get deoderizing carpert cleaner( for cats and dogs) and clean the carpets and other carpet material in the car. Also try dry sheets under the seats( replace weekly for a month). Also you can try leaving an open box of kitty litter in the car for a week. And get an air freshner. Goodluck.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #20
GFY
BigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud ofBigHeadTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Big Head
BigHeadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macanic View Post
The coffee works a miracle, Thanks for all the replies
OP has solved his issue!