Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

vinyl wrap or bed liner or other for tacoma roof

Old 03-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Leo
Leoffensive's Tacoma Gallery
vinyl wrap or bed liner or other for tacoma roof

I plan on getting a roof rack in the future and i noticed the roof paint of my '07 DC is in poor shape. since i want something to protect my roof from rust and what not and since im putting a roof rack on it.

i was thinkin like the vinyl wrap that a lot of the guys with the white trucks do or maybe using some kind of bed liner to protect the roof.

i dont want plastidip

anyone with experience in either of these ideas have any insight.

also my truck is indigo ink so my color choice will be black more than likely for my new roof cover.

thanks in advance
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
What do you mean by poor shape? Lots of scratches/ exposed metal?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #3
Leoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shedLeoffensive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksRig View Post
What do you mean by poor shape? Lots of scratches/ exposed metal?
Real faded and a spot that I'm assuming is an old bird shit from the previous owner that I thought was to the primer but now looks like rust
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
If there is no bare metal then I would go with a vinyl. If you have bare spots down to the metal you will need to cover that with some paint and what not to stop the rusting underneath whatever you put down. Even if you just rattle can it after cleaning up all the rust then lay a vinyl over it you should be good. If you want it that way. If it was me I would just paint the whole thing.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you have a lot of areas that are down to metal and rusting, I'd get some kind of paint over it. Even if you cover it with vinyl, I'd at least primer it first to seal the metal. Bedliner is very durable but some are extremely course and hard to clean so keep that in mind. I like the Rustoleum bedliner. It's easy to clean and seems to stand up to a good fair amount of abuse. If it were me, I'd bedliner or use automotive paint.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
NicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud ofNicksRig has much to be proud of

Firefighter:
NicksRig's Tacoma Gallery
Id start with a clay bar, wax, polish and see how it looks if there is no metal showing. That can do a lot to improve the paint. Then I would just paint it if it does not turn out the way you want.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #7

yea im thinkin bed liner cause it will probably be more permanent.

im gonna put a roof rack on so id rather not have to remove it to replace vinyl if it starts coming up

how long does vinyl last?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoffensive View Post
yea im thinkin bed liner cause it will probably be more permanent.

im gonna put a roof rack on so id rather not have to remove it to replace vinyl if it starts coming up

how long does vinyl last?
Apparently, vinyl lasts about 5 years outdoors in the sun.