Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

NEW PAINT JOB

Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
NEW PAINT JOB

I have a 2006 tacoma its Rad Red it still looks great for 7 years old, but the rock chips from tires and just being on the road 150K have taken its toll. My Question is has anybody had their truck repainted the same color? how much should I expect to pay. I want a good job I only drive it like 100 miles a month or less now so this one will last a lot longer.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
I have a friend who just got back from a deployment and asked me to recommend a reputable place for a new paint job. He has a 2005 DBL Cab Off Road in Silver Streak Mica. He went to 3 different places...he had no real huge paint problems...just rock chips like you and regular wear and tear including a little neglect on his part. The shop I sent him to is repainting the entire truck for around $2200. Another shop estimated closer to $3k and even a bit over. The place he is taking it to told him they could fix the paint without a paint job but he chose to just start over. It will probably be hard to get a nice paint job for less than $2k I would think, unless you have some inside connections somewhere. He is due to drop it off next week I think...supposed to take close to 2 weeks...maybe less depending on how busy the shop is.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Randumtask is on a distinguished road

Randumtask's Tacoma Gallery
^yea that all sounds pretty close to what I'd expect to pay for a full respray.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Do the paint job yourself if you know how to
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
NateW is on a distinguished road
NateW's Tacoma Gallery
I have rock chips on my hood and one on my fender that went through the primer and rusted. I wonder how much that's gonna cost
Old 06-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly the amount of issues that can come from a paint job is pretty unbelievable. Your paint will almost always be dryer than the OEM paint job (orange peel), there will most likely be dust nibs all over the car, possible runs, possible colour matching issues, and the list goes on. It might be better to just live with the chips.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
NateW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
Honestly the amount of issues that can come from a paint job is pretty unbelievable. Your paint will almost always be dryer than the OEM paint job (orange peel), there will most likely be dust nibs all over the car, possible runs, possible colour matching issues, and the list goes on. It might be better to just live with the chips.
I would do that as long as I knew the rust was stopped. But Im not sure how to make sure that it is
Old 06-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
I would do that as long as I knew the rust was stopped. But Im not sure how to make sure that it is
If you get some touch up paint/clear coat and touch up the chips it helps a lot.

I'm getting all my flares/front bumper done at the shop I work at just because I will be dealing with all of the imperfections that will be in the paint. If I couldn't get it done for a case of beer and a few hours taking the bumper off and on I would just go buy a steel one.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
NateW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
If you get some touch up paint/clear coat and touch up the chips it helps a lot.

I'm getting all my flares/front bumper done at the shop I work at just because I will be dealing with all of the imperfections that will be in the paint. If I couldn't get it done for a case of beer and a few hours taking the bumper off and on I would just go buy a steel one.
Thanks. I'll try that. I will probably haveto sand off and treat the surface rust first. I should have done the touch up a long time ago!!