Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Buff out plastic interior scratches?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
iTz IAN is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
iTz IAN's Tacoma Gallery
Buff out plastic interior scratches?

When I bought my truck there were a few scratches on the glovebox about 1/2mm deep, on the scratches theres fraying plastic that makes them more noticeable, it seems that light buffing may remove this.

I'm trying to see if anyone has successfully removed these scratches and how.

I'm tempted to take a buffing wheel to it, but it may melt the plastic

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Buff out plastic interior scratches?-photo-12.jpg   Buff out plastic interior scratches?-photo-9.jpg  
Old 03-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
iTz IAN is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
iTz IAN's Tacoma Gallery
pics are up
Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, some milder versions as well
Old 03-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
good luck. I got some scratches like these and some in the dark material above the glove box I wish I could get rid of.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Psynx is on a distinguished road

Psynx's Tacoma Gallery
i would try this first since its inexpensive to try, works on most scuffs i come across

http://www.1z-usa.com/einszett_plast...p_cleaner.html
Old 03-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz IAN View Post
When I bought my truck there were a few scratches on the glovebox about 1/2mm deep, on the scratches theres fraying plastic that makes them more noticeable, it seems that light buffing may remove this.

I'm trying to see if anyone has successfully removed these scratches and how.

I'm tempted to take a buffing wheel to it, but it may melt the plastic

Thanks
I would try the hair dryer method touted by several others (I've never tried it though). Search this site for a thread on it.

I've tried buffing plastic and most of the time it doesn't go well.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
Psynx is on a distinguished road

Psynx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishAndWax.com View Post
I would try the hair dryer method touted by several others (I've never tried it though). Search this site for a thread on it.

I've tried buffing plastic and most of the time it doesn't go well.
What machine and polish were you using?
I've polished gg3 da and use a black finishing foam with plastic x and worked fine
Old 03-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
This may sound crazy but I've always used a lighter on scratches. Don't let it sit just go back and forward with a lighter.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
This may sound crazy but I've always used a lighter on scratches. Don't let it sit just go back and forward with a lighter.
Similar to the hair dryer concept. A bit riskier though.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psynx View Post
What machine and polish were you using?
I've polished gg3 da and use a black finishing foam with plastic x and worked fine
A rotary...which is what I think the OP inferred ("wheel").
Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Put some carburetor cleaner on a cloth and wipe it quickly. Sometimes it will melt the plastic enough to level out the scratches. It's slightly risky, but it has worked for me on an 87 Toyota pickup. Just make sure it's all solid colored plastic, and not paint on black plastic like in the 1st gen. Tacomas.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the roughWhiteTacoma09 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
had a pretty good scuff in the back seat area, should of took pics. used a mini torch, used a good distance and did small strokes across. worked like a charm!!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I've used the hair dryer and gotten some scratches out. It doesn't really get them out but it does bring the colour back and hides them really well. Just use your a fingernail to get rid of the plastic that is frayed and then take the heat gun to them.

I wouldn't try polishing them that could be a huge headache if you fling polish or you could ruin the colour of the plastic or something. Getting polish on pieces of the exterior like the top of the bed liner is a massive PITA so I would avoid polishing plastics like the plague. Just the though of getting polish all over the seats and the dash makes me cringe.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
panicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nicepanicfan is just really nice

panicfan's Tacoma Gallery
not a DIY idea, but I had some removed when I got my 09 a couple months back. The dealer said they would call dent wizard, but wouldn't make any promises.
They fixed it and I can't tell where they were. Removed scratches from grey and black sections....