LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Restore Plastic Shine

Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
Fiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiend13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief
Name: Chad
Fiend13's Tacoma Gallery
Question Restore Plastic Shine

The fender flares on my wife's Jeep are fading bad from the sun. They were black but now they like an ashy grey. I have the driver side taped off right to plasti dip them but before I did that I was wondering if any of y'all knew of any good products to use to help restore the finish. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiend13 View Post
The fender flares on my wife's Jeep are fading bad from the sun. They were black but now they like an ashy grey. I have the driver side taped off right to plasti dip them but before I did that I was wondering if any of y'all knew of any good products to use to help restore the finish. Thanks in advance for the help!
Meguire's ultimate black.
My wife's jeep does the same thing. A couple of applications and then you redo it after you wash. Gas spill will wipe it out so be careful. But works for me
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my jeep TJ I taped off the flares and bought some of the Rustoleum truck bed coating and sprayed them. It leaves a matte, rough finish but I liked it simply because it looked a little more rugged and never looked like I doused it in armor all or the like. It was very popular among jeep owners on wranglerforum.com so I tried it. I really liked the outcome so I painted my headlight bezels, front off road bumper, my door handles and windshield wiper arms with it. It was easy to paint using this stuff and if it got dirty you just used a scrub brush and it came right off. Easy to touch up too. All I did to prepare the flares was use a paint preparation wipe made by duplicolor I think and wiped them all down and then painted them. I was never a fan of really shiny stuff armor all wise so this was great. Never had to armor all anything but the tires after that.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot, but a lot of guys on wranglerforum.com would just simply get a couple cans of the trim and bumper paint and reprint the flares altogether. Just a thought. Either way it was awesome not to have to touch the flares or the faded door handles with protectant after that.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ore+black+trim
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Funny how often this comes up....As a Jeep owner for 20 years, the hands down solution is a product called "Forever Black," a dye....won't wash off like all the "protectant" spray on junk, and won't scratch off like paint when you hit the trail. Quadratec seems to have a good deal on it.