Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Tiny Scratches EVERYWHERE

Old 03-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
PVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura about
Coast Guard: Enforcement Division
Name: Paul
PVT Pablo's Tacoma Gallery
Tiny Scratches EVERYWHERE

Hey everyone,

So I've had my truck for 2 years now and the brush rash is really starting to show on my black truck. It looks like I drove through a razor bladed sphicter (best way I could think to describe it haha) and I have long thin lines running the length of the truck. If I wash and wax it the scratches go away for the most part but is their anything more permanent?

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
Clay bar it. Usually works.
Or it's a truck gives it character
Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
clay bars get rid of surface impurities

OP, get a good polish and buffer, that should take out most of the swirling and light scratches
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
PVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura aboutPVT Pablo has a spectacular aura about
Alright thanks guys. I've never polished so I'll have to look into that. I can say, being as OCD as I am, I'll never own another black vehicle.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
clay bars get rid of surface impurities

OP, get a good polish and buffer, that should take out most of the swirling and light scratches
Amen.

In addition, experiment on another car first, if you can.

Black is TOUGH but nothing shines like black.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Road rage is a hobby
Oowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shedOowen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
Name: Owen
Oowen's Tacoma Gallery
In my case (lots of brush scratches) clay bar works just fine because the scratches are in the clear coat.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
New guy
Ryan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan DCFS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic/ff reserve
Name: Ryan
Ryan DCFS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVT Pablo View Post
Hey everyone,

So I've had my truck for 2 years now and the brush rash is really starting to show on my black truck. It looks like I drove through a razor bladed sphincter (best way I could think to describe it haha) and I have long thin lines running the length of the truck. If I wash and wax it the scratches go away for the most part but is their anything more permanent?

Thanks for any help!

That is a terrifying description.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Paint it white
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #12
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Curious then, what's the best color so the scratches don't look as prominent?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by winL View Post
Curious then, what's the best color so the scratches don't look as prominent?
White, hands down.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #14
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
White, hands down.
Agreed.

Metallic silver is probably second to that. Doesn't shows scratches, dirt or water spots easily and IMHO looks much nicer than white.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Black isss hot though.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
For three days off the lot, yes. I would agree nothing looks better than a black truck polished and shined, or a matte finish on black is beautiful too, but for looking good almost all the time and hiding damage; white wins hands down, every time.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
I did the polish and wow, what a difference. Its funny, everywhere I've been today (gas station, auto parts store, computer store) someone has said something about my truck.

Apparently shiny black, is better than dirty black
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Feed him a hammer, he'd crap out nails.
Dark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark_Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dark_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
hit it with a DA polisher and you will be amazed.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
d9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud ofd9lowe has much to be proud of

d9lowe's Tacoma Gallery
Polished my black DC this weekend. Huge difference!!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Psynx is on a distinguished road

Psynx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightnfire View Post
White, hands down.
+2 for white lol