Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cordless Drill Buffing Attachment

Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Cordless Drill Buffing Attachment

Is this a good idea? Spring time is coming and I would like to buff/polish the entire truck after going through a wash and clay bar (first time doing that too).

Is there an attachment I could purchase to use with my cordless drill to make this process easier? I have a lot of fine scratches in the clearcoat and would like to address these. All advice welcome.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't... Check out the Porter Cable orbital polisher. It's very user friendly and you won't burn through your clear coat.

This is the one I'd get if I went with a mechanical buffer:
http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html

That website also carries a lot of good detailing products if you're interested.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
I have a corded black & decker orbital. Was maybe $25. Cheap and works. Get some halfway decent buffing pads and you'll be good.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely look into the pc. a drill would be dangerous unless you really know what you are doing.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ x2. Go with the random orbit Porter Cable. If you're new to polishing ESPECIALLY!!! It's cheap, effective, and won't get you into trouble.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
PolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolishAndWax.com is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PolishAndWax.com's Tacoma Gallery
Using a drill to polish is OK for something like headlights, but I wouldn't use it on paint. It's too hard to control.

I don't like the PC, but tons of people love it and get great results. I prefer a rotary, which is more dangerous, but much quicker. A good rotary (Dewalt or Makita) runs close to $200 but you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight for under $40.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...ult?q=polisher

If you go with a rotary, watch some very detailed instructional videos first and polish a 'practice vehicle' before you touch your baby with it. Also, use a high-quality polish with very fine abrasives, never 'compound'.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't like the PC, but tons of people love it and get great results. I prefer a rotary, which is more dangerous, but much quicker. A good rotary (Dewalt or Makita) runs close to $200 but you can get a cheap one at Harbor Freight for under $40.
Oh yes, don't get me wrong I would love to have a DeWalt and will probably get one soon. I just would not recommend the average joe to get a rotary buffer unless they were planning on getting serious about paint correction. The Porter Cable 7424 has its limitations no doubt. If I don't get a DeWalt I will at least spring for a Flex.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Psynx is on a distinguished road

Psynx's Tacoma Gallery
yes there is a drill attachment that meguiars make but i would still recommend a DA like porter cable Griots garage or meguiars DA

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-power-system/
thats the link to the drill attachment
Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psynx View Post
yes there is a drill attachment that meguiars make but i would still recommend a DA like porter cable Griots garage or meguiars DA

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...-power-system/
thats the link to the drill attachment
I agree 100 %. Some people have reported good results with the new Meguiar's system. But if your gonna be polishing more than once get a DA! It will pay for itself right off the bat.

PS: Hello Psynx!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
Psynx is on a distinguished road

Psynx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
I agree 100 %. Some people have reported good results with the new Meguiar's system. But if your gonna be polishing more than once get a DA! It will pay for itself right off the bat.

PS: Hello Psynx!
lol i recognized that avatar hahaha waddup