1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flag Decal + wash/wax

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by 169.254.255.201, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM

169.254.255.201 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interwebs
    Here are some pictures of my flag decals from Sockmonkey (who just recently left the business. Temporarily hopefully!). I had received them a few weeks ago, but the weather was finally in my favor yesterday.
    I originally got the idea from LT1. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/detailing/227977-little-too-much.html

I had also been wanting to do a wash and wax, so I did that and was thoroughly impressed with the products of autogeek.
    I had removed my previous factory decals with a bit of difficulty even using the blow dryer a few weeks ago.

The pictures are in my photobucket, to save me the time of posting each picture in here. :D
    I know the three noticable dents look really bad in these pictures.. But you can't really notice them in person.
    20130329_173030_zps236136dd_406445688a63d7901faea5a79078c5be10f51a6c.jpg

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jon_Antel/library/New Flag Decal

I debated about which way it should be facing.. But this is what I eventually decided on.

I'll try to capture some more pictures in the sun, but that may be a few days.

Mounting it was easy enough. I got the measurements of the entire decal, and roughly traced it on a blank copy paper, and placed that approximately where I wanted it and got the exact measurements so I could have it in the same place on the other side. I used some masking tape to help with placement.

I started with a tool similar to windshield cleaners you see at gas stations (By the gas pumps) but a lot smaller. I used a credit card to get the smaller spots. I found wiping the water that oversprayed above the decal when I was mounting it was a good idea, in case the water was to drip down and cause problems. :(
    Thanks Sockmonkey!

I don't have anything planned at the moment, but does anyone know of something I could put over the decal to protect it if I was to go offroading? I think the decals will hold up fine in day to day driving of course, but I'm afraid a branch could start to peel one off.

Tell me how you like it!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    Denk

Denk Well-Known Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 Spruce TRD Sport DCSB
    I like the idea, but that flag should be on the other side. Stars always leading the way!

texred73 likes this.
  3. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    x2!:oldglory:

4. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Taco in distress!!!

5. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    TacoBurrito07

TacoBurrito07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 SWB Dbl cab TRD Sport 4x4
  6. Mar 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    1stgenpre

1stgenpre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kathy
    Foothills of NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab Sport Speedway Blue
    Tint, shorty antenna, custom bedside decals, Weather Tech mats, undercover bed cover, Wet Okole seat covers, TRD shift knob, 3 inch lift, Level 8 MK 6 wheels in matte black, BFG A/Ts 285/70/17, LED bed lights by tacodane, nfab steps, salex organizer, bed extender, pioneer head unit, satoshi grill, tacoma trucks sunshade, more to come...
    I like the idea, even had some of these flags on either side of my jeep when I had it. Nice decals...

My only suggestion would have been to straighten it up using that seam in the quarter panel as a guide...it looks a little crooked. Also, the field of stars always flies forward...this particular decal should have been put on the opposite side of the truck. But hey, if you like it, rock on.

I ordered a set of bedside decals from Sock a few weeks ago myself and although they looked awesome on the transfer tape, they were crappy once they were installed. I'm not happy with them at all. As a matter of fact they look so bad that I'm probably going to take them off. $40 down the drain I guess...looks like yours turned out awesome though.

7. Apr 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    burair

burair Member

Member:
    Hope I don't burst your bubble but it looks like your flags are on the wrong sides. Think of the Flag on a pole leading the way into battle. Stars should be on the leading edge.

8. Apr 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Great decal! Wrong side. We don't run from battle. Stars always moving forward.

9. Apr 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM
    TacoSkeet

TacoSkeet 'MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 DC Tacoma
    maybe he is just always in reverse :notsure:

10. Apr 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    His sticker is backwards to look like this.

11. Mar 28, 2015 at 6:43 AM
    12thMan

12thMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrence
    Tomball, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DC PreRunner 2WD
    I can see where you might get that impression, however, as noted in previous posts, flag etiquette requires the stars to be "leading the way". Thus on this soldier the stars are facing towards his front as to lead the way when this soldier heads forward into battle.
    Therefore, on the truck, the decal should be placed with the stars towards the front of the vehicle.
    Hooah!!

Products Discussed in

To Top