Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Flag Decal + wash/wax

Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Flag Decal + wash/wax

Here are some pictures of my flag decals from Sockmonkey (who just recently left the business. Temporarily hopefully!). I had received them a few weeks ago, but the weather was finally in my favor yesterday.
I originally got the idea from LT1. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/det...-too-much.html

I had also been wanting to do a wash and wax, so I did that and was thoroughly impressed with the products of autogeek.
I had removed my previous factory decals with a bit of difficulty even using the blow dryer a few weeks ago.

The pictures are in my photobucket, to save me the time of posting each picture in here.
I know the three noticable dents look really bad in these pictures.. But you can't really notice them in person.

http://s1325.photobucket.com/user/Jo...20Flag%20Decal

I debated about which way it should be facing.. But this is what I eventually decided on.

I'll try to capture some more pictures in the sun, but that may be a few days.

Mounting it was easy enough. I got the measurements of the entire decal, and roughly traced it on a blank copy paper, and placed that approximately where I wanted it and got the exact measurements so I could have it in the same place on the other side. I used some masking tape to help with placement.

I started with a tool similar to windshield cleaners you see at gas stations (By the gas pumps) but a lot smaller. I used a credit card to get the smaller spots. I found wiping the water that oversprayed above the decal when I was mounting it was a good idea, in case the water was to drip down and cause problems.
Thanks Sockmonkey!

I don't have anything planned at the moment, but does anyone know of something I could put over the decal to protect it if I was to go offroading? I think the decals will hold up fine in day to day driving of course, but I'm afraid a branch could start to peel one off.

Tell me how you like it!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Denk is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
Denk's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea, but that flag should be on the other side. Stars always leading the way!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I like the idea, but that flag should be on the other side. Stars always leading the way!
x2!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of1stgenpre has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
1stgenpre's Tacoma Gallery
I like the idea, even had some of these flags on either side of my jeep when I had it. Nice decals...

My only suggestion would have been to straighten it up using that seam in the quarter panel as a guide...it looks a little crooked. Also, the field of stars always flies forward...this particular decal should have been put on the opposite side of the truck. But hey, if you like it, rock on.

I ordered a set of bedside decals from Sock a few weeks ago myself and although they looked awesome on the transfer tape, they were crappy once they were installed. I'm not happy with them at all. As a matter of fact they look so bad that I'm probably going to take them off. $40 down the drain I guess...looks like yours turned out awesome though.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
burair is on a distinguished road
burair's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
Taco in distress!!!
Hope I don't burst your bubble but it looks like your flags are on the wrong sides. Think of the Flag on a pole leading the way into battle. Stars should be on the leading edge.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
'MERICA
TacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoSkeet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: PO2
Name: Steven
TacoSkeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
Great decal! Wrong side. We don't run from battle. Stars always moving forward.
maybe he is just always in reverse
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I believe he was mimicking this look.