LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

How to remove Bondo from rubber surround?

Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
How to remove Bondo from rubber surround?

A neighbor was helping me sand/prep my hood and grill for paint this weekend. I'm doing a Satoshi grill and as such we were working with bondo to fill areas before paint. He accidentally got the top of the grill in a little bondo that had dripped off onto the rack as he flipped the grill over. On the top side of the grill is a rubber gasket that seals to the hood but also stands out as a gap between the hood & grill and will show. I called the dealership and there's no way to buy this part as it comes as part of the front grill. What can I use to remove this bondo? Can I use fingernail polish or ?? I'm guessing it's going to be difficult to find a solvent that will break down the bondo for removal w/o damaging the soft rubber of the trim piece.

Thoughts?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Just let the bondo dry, and it will crack off.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
Just let the bondo dry, and it will crack off.
Yeah, right after I posted this I took a scotch pad that I had used to scuff the underside of the hood to it and a lot of it came off. I saw the parts today at the painters prior to paint and it looks like they did something because it's gone now. I'm sure they've got plenty of experience doing such things.

FYI, you can't just order that part from the Toyota dealer and replace it as there isn't a separate part # for it from the entire grill. Good job Toyota.