Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Build your own flares question

Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Navy: Naval Flight Officer
Name: Chris
kriskross's Tacoma Gallery
Build your own flares question

So I am working on a project for my 09 Taco. It involves removing the stock flares, installing a bed rack with armor bar connections to the rear bumper and rear end of my sliders. I plan on getting wheel spacers but I don't think I'm gonna like all the rocks being thrown against my truck without flares.

Therefore, I want to make my own flares that will somewhat resemble the flares that a lot of Jeeps have but I will have to make it myself. My main question is what kind of material should I get and where can I get it? I would also like some advice on how to mount it to the truck. My first instinct is rivits or just simple bolts and washers. But the material is the big question because I either need it to be at a right angle to attach the the truck fender or be wide enough to attach to the inside to the fender well, probably against the bed.

Here is a picture of my design and the current state of my fenders:

Old 04-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Shits & Giggles
kriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud ofkriskross has much to be proud of

Maybe something like this but I'm not sure how it would attach to my truck since the stock fenderwell plastic is really thin and weekly attached to the truck

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ppp-52-171/all
Old 04-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Shits & Giggles

So I did more research and I think this will work for the flares.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pacer-Performa...ductId=1560633

I still wonder if I can replace the fender well plastic though... That stuff is really flimsy.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
I am in this same boat right now. I had a custom arm kit for the front made. Now I want some glass fenders but not as big as the ones on the market. The rubber may look cheap on a nice truck like these.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriskross View Post
So I did more research and I think this will work for the flares.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Pacer-Performa...ductId=1560633

I still wonder if I can replace the fender well plastic though... That stuff is really flimsy.
Yep, you can replace it. I've seen it done a few times, most of the time it's just plastic sheeting that goes in there. Or a flexible thick rubber.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Shits & Giggles

Someone even recommended swimming pool liner from Home Depot. Looks like I'm going shopping
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshiet View Post
Bump for a cool looking sketch!
Ha, thanks man. That was probably version 9 or 10. I think It will turn out pretty good. Materials have been purchased, gonna do the build first weekend of May.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, definitely interested to check this out.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Shits & Giggles

I ordered the rubber flaring and will look into replacement wheelwell liner material after class today.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Shits & Giggles

I found some universal rubber flares from JEGS, check it out here. I then got some rubber mat material at Home Depot, picture below. Also grabbed some small bolts, nuts, washers and L-brackets (also pictured).

I started by removing the rear stock flares and fender-well lining and drilling holes into the fender about 4" apart. The rubber flaring was then cut to length and drilled a hole into one end, bolted it to the fender with the L bracket on the inside. Then I lined up the flaring to the next hole, drilled a hole in the rubber and attached another bolt and L bracket and continued this to the end.

The hard part was cutting the new fender-well material to fit. This was a matter of holding the material in the fender, cutting here to fit this, cutting here to go around that etc. In the end one side was connected to each L bracket, the other side was connected in three spots, two with self-tapping screws into the bed and one ziptied to the crossmember that goes from the bed to the fender.

The front was easier because I reused the fender-well liner and did not remove it. The rest was done the same as the rears except no L brackets, the flaring was just bolted straight onto the fender. I cut a notch in the flaring at the top, rear curve so the flaring would curve better (shouldve done the same to the rear).

The mudflaps no longer fit since they were partially attached to the stock flares so I went down to Knechts Auto and got some of their thick rubber 12x18 mudflaps. These will be mounted tonight or tomorrow.

This was a two day project for me and I quickly learned by living down a dirt road (kept muddy by Corvallis rain) that mudflaps are VERY effective at keeping mud and dirt off the ENTIRE side of your truck. I'll post some pics of that, too.

The fender-well material I used, $10 at HD

Flare material

The bolts I used

L Brackets

After holes drilled into rear fenders

Mounted flares

Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Subd got any pics of entire truck with flares installed??
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Shits & Giggles

Will be posted shortly. Currently "taking notes" in one of my engineering classes.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
Shits & Giggles

Truck with flares installed. The mud on the side was put there when I didn't have any flares. Notice that even the mirrors got caked. I will post another pic after I get the mudflaps on.

I also parked next to another Taco who I would tell "you're doing it wrong, buddy"

Old 04-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Looks pretty good man. They look like 1st Gen fender flares now.

Matt
Old 04-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:

I also parked next to another Taco who I would tell "you're doing it wrong, buddy"

Well said
Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Shits & Giggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Looks pretty good man. They look like 1st Gen fender flares now.

Matt
Yea I guess they do. I'm ok with that.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

He didn't do it. Toyota did it.
That's an X-Runner. 5-lug, body skirts, V6, with an X-Brace in the rear to stiffen the frame.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #20
Shits & Giggles

He's the one that bought the thing, so I still blame him. He's not driving a truck, he's driving a large car with shitty fuel economy and high storage capacity. You can't do anything in it.