Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Chrome Won't Getcha Home!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Kevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevoh
Kevoh's Tacoma Gallery
Chrome Won't Getcha Home - Write Up

I owe praise for the phrase from The Traveler . I first heard this from him when we spoke a few times about how much we both disliked the chrome grill on our trucks.

After doing a bit of research over the past few days and working up the courage to do it - I decided to take the steps necessary to get rid of the chrome in an inexpensive way.

I bring you a detailed write up on how to Plasti-Dip your entire bumper & grille on my 2012 Toyota Tacoma V6 PreRunner.

First step things first; supplies needed:

(6-8)Cans of Plasti - Dip Spray[This is found at Home Depot]
(1) 7 Foot Painters Drop
(1) 24 Foot Roll of Painters Paper
(1) Roll of 2" thick blue painters tape
(1) 12oz bottle of rubbing alcohol
(3) Microfiber Towels [1 for application, 1 for buffing, 1 for drying]
------------------------
$Cost estimate: $50.00-$60.00 USD~ @Home Depot

Stage 1: Clean the application area

Rinse the area thoroughly. Ensure you get rid of any previous dirt / mud that may be caked on the bumper & grille. Once done you can dry (or wash; depending on how you feel the cleanliness of your truck is) and move on to prepping.

Stage 2: Prepping the application areas & Disassemble of grille

Apply generous portions of alcohol to both yourself (BEER!) and the chrome pieces on the truck. Rub the cleaning alcohol thoroughly (the alcohol from the bottle onto the truck) to ensure you remove any grime that may be on the chrome. Once done with this buff out and dry. Ensure you tape off all areas along your tailgate and bumper (I suggest covering the plastic top). Place drop under bed of truck and ensure you cover the work area to avoid possible dripping from application of Plasti-Dip.

To remove grille please follow the instructions; up to and not including cutting of course. I found this walkthrough to be the most detailed for whatever model you have (Credit to Grillecraft & their detailed techs for a great write up):
http://www.grillcraft.com/installs/i...install_id=303

[Optional for 2012-2013 for easier painting] Once grille is removed. Flip on backside and remove 10 screws. Once screws are removed carefully pop tabs out in a similar fashion to the initial grille removal.

Stage 3: Coating

Ensure you take your time and apply even coats. This process can be repeated as many times as you wish - but allow 30-45 minutes in between one full even coat.

Please be advised: If you spray too closely the Plasti-Dip seems to bubble up very fast ruining the coat you just applied. Take your time and ensure you do long steady strokes across the grille, bumper, and any other items you decide to do (I removed my emblem on front).

Stage 4: Coating Again...

I continued to coat evenly on the bumper a total of 8 coats (following by my 30 minute break marker in between each even coat, which turned into a beer per break - was a gracious day!). I applied 3 even coats to the grille, and 3 even coats to the emblem. I ended up using a total of 6 cans.

Stage 5: Completion

Follow the steps of reassembling your grille and removing all of the painters tape and cleaning your work area. I suggest allowing a good 1-2 hours of drying before putting the grille back together.

Thank you and post any questions you may have.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
Paint your emblem White, Tint your tail lights with some VHT nightshades do the BHLM and your truck sir will be BADASSNESS. Oh and debadge!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
SR5808 is on a distinguished road
Name: J10
SR5808's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Thinking of doing this to my black tacoma. Think it'll resemble a color matched? haha
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive my noobness. But unless you rough up (sand) the smooth chrome finish before application, won't the Plastidip peel off over time?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
Kevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shedKevoh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kevoh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Forgive my noobness. But unless you rough up (sand) the smooth chrome finish before application, won't the Plastidip peel off over time?
I heard this too. There are mixed reviews on it - we'll see what happens honestly. With as cheap of a mod as it was I wouldn't be terribly mad if it peeled off.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Jbbarrette is on a distinguished road
Jbbarrette's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, nice job!!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Wiskid1
wiskid1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: USS Mt. Hood AE-29
Name: Robert
wiskid1's Tacoma Gallery
Looks Great! Thanks for posting the details. I just bought a couple cans of Plasti-Dip and some painters tape. Beginning Black Out the emblems. Front first to test. I'll post before and after too.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! I had dipped some parts on my 2012 silverado before i traded it in, lasted for 11 months straight including my wheels! i have to say, that stuff works as described!
Old 04-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed169.254.255.201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

169.254.255.201's Tacoma Gallery
Can you post some pictures from a distance?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Kevoh's Tacoma Gallery
images from afar as requested:

Old 08-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
There is no need to sand when using plasti-dip. It does not adhere to plastic the same way paint does. Put on 6-8 coats and let the last coat dry for at least an hour, but if you want it to last forever just sand and paint it.