Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Sponge, brush or something else whe washing your truck?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Sticker Making Dude
CBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCBoy808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: C
CBoy808's Tacoma Gallery
Sponge, brush or something else whe washing your truck?

I have always had small cars and have used grout sponges to wash my cars. This truck is so much bigger I was wondering if most people are using a small sponge, or one of those brushes on a broom stick style.

What are your tricks?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
conquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura aboutconquistador has a spectacular aura about

conquistador's Tacoma Gallery
Stay away from brushes on the paint. The more you touch the paint the more the likely hood you will scratch the paint. You want to be as gentle as possible. I always use a good quality sheepskin wash mitt they cost about $15. Check out page 1 of the ask a detailer thread at the top of the page. It goes over how to properly wash your truck.

Unfortunately I have no real tricks. I actually enjoy cleaning my truck. My normal weekly maintenance exterior wash takes me about 2hrs to clean the wheels, tires, inner fender wells, wash the truck, and dry.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
I would not use a sponge. It's probably not soft enough and may just drag the dirt on the surface and eventually make those spider-web fine scratches. Instead, use a cotton wash mitt like it.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
Micro-fiber wash mitt

I use two mitts, one for the tires/wheels and one for the body although the one for the wheels doesn't have to be micro-fiber. Also, be sure to use the two bucket method.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
Hektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud ofHektor has much to be proud of

Hektor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
Micro-fiber wash mitt

I use two mitts, one for the tires/wheels and one for the body although the one for the wheels doesn't have to be micro-fiber. Also, be sure to use the two bucket method.
Two bucket method????
Old 04-18-2013, 03:03 AM   #6
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
Micro-fiber wash mitt

I use two mitts, one for the tires/wheels and one for the body although the one for the wheels doesn't have to be micro-fiber.
Same here.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
THE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to allTHE SCHIRMINATOR is a name known to all

Name: Ryan
THE SCHIRMINATOR's Tacoma Gallery
A quick scrub with the foamy brush at my local car wash does the trick. Lather it up, stand back and rinse. The paint on these trucks isn't any different than any other car on the road so don't let these guys freak you out. Just don't hulk out when your hand washing.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:22 AM   #8
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2..One big micro fiber tassle-ey sponge for wheel areas, bumpers, grill area and lower doors (dirty areas) and a glove for the rest of the truck...works great. Got them all in a kit from ace hardware that was reduced to $9.99 from $15
Peak Microfiber Complete Carwash Kit (PKC0GL)
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...631166.2631170

HEre it is on amazon for $19
http://www.amazon.com/Peak-Microfibe.../dp/B0056CIJN2

Products Discussed in this Thread