1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best way to black out a Tacoma? 2012 Prerunner

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Operator313, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    Operator313

Operator313 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    12 TSS Prerunner SR5
    Maxtrac Spindles 2 inch blocks on 1.5 AAl's (You jelly?) Kicker L78 Kicker 300.1 BLHM Color scratched grill
    Hey Taco World. I Just got done photo shopping my truck to see what a "murdered/blacked out" version would look like and I think I am going to go for it. My question is what is the best way to go about it?

A little bit of back ground on the truck. This build will be of the mall crawler variety with no real need to go off road (mostly highway). The largest threat to the paint on the truck will be snow, ice a subzero temperatures.

What I have already decided to paint/purchase.

1. Black Out Head Light Mod. I have already decided to endeavor this.

2. Tint. of course. Being done professionally.

My questions.

1. Grill Shell. Paint or purchase? If I were to paint the chrome grill shell would I be having to touch up every time I hit a bug? Is there a paint that will hold up to everyday driving conditions?

2. Badges. Paint or purchase? Am I better off painting the stock badges? or buying new black ones?

3. Rims. Paint or not? (Can't afford the new rims at the moment) Do I dare paint them? Will quality shake paint hold onto the rim in snow and ice? Will it fade off and look like poo?

Your Input is greatly appreciated!

Now...
    [​IMG]

Photo shopped...

[​IMG]

Oh I almost forgot...Next week I am having the following put on the Truck.

4in Maxtrac spindles
    2in AAL
    285/70/17 Terra grapplers :D

INB4 use search button...Trust me I have used it plenty on researching this.
    INB4 Plastidip...NO

2. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    gnstalodz

gnstalodz Well-Known Member

Member:
    ca, bayarea
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner Doublecab
    leave the windshield alone. for your safety and others.

3. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM
    Conman117

Conman117 AWESOME MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 Brap-coma
    Blue LED dash lights
    I'd have to say at least use plastidip on your badges, unless you want to tape off inside the letters. I did mine and its the easiest thing you can do.
    Mine have held up for 2 years now.

4. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...

2. Badges- Look up this thing called "Plasti-Dip". It's been used by a large number of members on the site and it looks good in my opinion(i debadged mine so no experience with it)
    You can peel it off if you'd like and it's pretty durable as people have plasti-dipped their wheels and THEIR TRUCKS in some cases.

3.Wheels: You might just want to either get them powder coated, or plasti-dip them first to see if you'll even like the wheels blacked out, i personally like the color of your wheels as it is.

4.The grill: Uhm, to be honest, i think you'd be better off trying to either

a.buy some color-matched paint(automotivetouchup.com) is a good place to get some and try to DIY.

b.Sell your chrome grill on ebay and buy a color-matched grill instead if you dont want to run the risk of not doing the matching properly.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Apr 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    hey the photoshop looks great! using some sandpaper (anywhere between 180 and 300) you should be able to paint any part of the truck with decent results. I used rustoleum pro grade (the tall can with the hard hat on it) with great results on my grill surround and the factory steel wheels. of course neither of these parts was chrome to begin with. on your grill surround, it would probably work with just roughing it up and a good wipedown. I like lacquer thinner to wipe with as it dissolves many different compounds and leaves minimal residue.

its worth a try. take your time, and do everything you've ever heard a painter say you should do. worst case scenario is that it doesn't stick to factory coatings and you have to take the grill surround down to plastic and the wheels down to raw. primer is always a good idea but not necessary in my case

Products Discussed in

To Top