LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Removing paint transfer..what's my problem?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Removing paint transfer..what's my problem?

My friend recently asked me to remove some paint transfer from her Chevy Malibu. Someone hit the right side doors and the transfer was worse as it got to the right front door.

I own a Walmart buffer that cost about $30 and I've had it for a while now, although only using it to wax versus do this kind of work. I used that as well as some Scratch Dr which is for buffing scratches and removing paint transfer.

I was able to remove it from the rear door and some of the front, but as it got worse it seemed to be more resistant or just not budge.

My guess (keyword of course) is maybe the buffer I have isn't the best tool for the job. I tried some rubbing compound lightly by hand and that didn't do any better.

What could I try? Not the end of the world, it is an older car and she isn't interested in replacing the door just trying to clean it up on the cheap if possible.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Try some wet sanding then buffing with a rotary buffer and some good compound. The "buffer" you have is what I like to call a wax applicator. That thing will never buff dull paint back to gloss.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Were I to use a better machine (like a DA polisher) would that perhaps do the trick?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Yea a da polisher or rotary if you are skilled will get more of it out. If the paint is more embedded then try to wet sand with some 1500 or higher grit sand paper.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
Just use some paint thinner... OEM clear will not be affected by it, and it should take off the transferred paint easily. It may haze the clear a little, then just polish by hand, and you're all set. Cheap, fast, and easy. Didn't think that was possible...
Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadic 78 View Post
Just use some paint thinner... OEM clear will not be affected by it, and it should take off the transferred paint easily. It may haze the clear a little, then just polish by hand, and you're all set. Cheap, fast, and easy. Didn't think that was possible...
Thinner works awesome to get off paint but you have to be careful of the microfibers bleeding colour. A yellow rag can dye the paint a really nasty green colour and then you have to polish that away. Which can be a pain in the ass depending on body lines/mouldings.

Some rags do some don't so I would test a small hidden spot first before doing a big area.