Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Good polisher?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Good polisher?

I have the Walmart 8-9 inch buffer for about $25. Wondering if it's time to buy a better one.

I know the Porter Cable polisher gets love here. What others are good? I'll use it 4 times a year or so, don't have to be one that will last for 50 years.

Are there air ones that are good and cheaper? I have a small compressor.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The Porter Cable is supposed to be a great one. I just bought one but have yet to use it. Check out Autogeek.net. If you decide to buy one from there, let me know, I can give you a 10% off and free shipping coupon.

EDIT: NVM, the 10% off one expired, free shipping is still good though.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on what mike said. check out autogeek.net

i have a porter cable and i use it about as often as you do. it was worth the purchase and i'd do the same all over again. compared to some other DA orbital polishers it's relatively cheap ($125). put a good set of pads on it and it will make a huge difference on your vehicle.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Profe.../dp/B002XOXSI2

Meguiers makes a D/A polisher
Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
I highly recommend taking a look at the flex 3401. Works faster than PC but won't burn paint. Plus it won't vibrate your arms off either.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
THe meguiers device is pretty sweet tool specifically made for modern day polishing.
One big thing is torque convetrer for downward pressure.
Basically when you push down it will maintain the RPM's instead of slowing like others would. Also has a slow spin up so you dont spray product everywhere.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for the PC. I've had mine for about 6 years and it's worked wonders. I too use it 4-6x a year and it still works like new. It's worth it.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
It's worth it.
Agreed, I haven't come across anyone who regrets buying a PC, and if you did you could sell it in a second.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
bunxbun is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves 2821 TechCon
Name: Bunnath
bunxbun's Tacoma Gallery
Porter Cable 7424...
Old 05-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
DannyD is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DannyD's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

I got this today.

With the cloths that wrap around the foam being cheap. Cotton with a compound, micro fiber with a polish. I used Maguars ultimate compound, and ultimate polish. I was able to get some serious bush wacking scratches off my black truck today. First time trying such a thing. Looks better then factory.

For 50$ on sale Id say its all you need for a truck. It doesnt have much tourque (you dont need alot for what I was doing), but it is variable speed and if your good with power tools you'll find your groove of position of the pad to use, what speed and what pressure. I was able to get the hang of it real fast.

I see myself doing this once a year for a compound/polish routine. It will be more then fine for waxing, which I usually just do by hand. If I ever buy a black car I'll upgrade To 150-200$ one with 100$ in pads and 60$ in products.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
tirekicker
vicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant futurevicali has a brilliant future

Name: mike
vicali's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
Not the same tool as a PC I'm afraid, you need to do some reading;

You bought a rotary buffer;
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-rotary-buffer

You're safer using a RA (Random Orbit) aka DA (Dual Action) polisher like the PC7424;
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...and-similar%29
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly it will depend on your confidence and skill level. A DA is great for beginner to average skill. The rotarys will swirl the crap out of some if you don't use it right. I personally learned on a rotary so that is what I stick with. I don't swirl any paint either. If there is a tiny swirl I can get it right back out. I use the 3M buffer with all of their appropriate pads.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
DannyD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicali View Post
Not the same tool as a PC I'm afraid, you need to do some reading;

You bought a rotary buffer;
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-rotary-buffer

You're safer using a RA (Random Orbit) aka DA (Dual Action) polisher like the PC7424;
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...and-similar%29
Good read, probably should have asked for some advice before lol. I did get some swirls like that picture with the compound. But it all came out when I switched to polish. Ill probably keep an eye for a better tool on craigslist over the next year.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
DannyD's Tacoma Gallery
Infact. At high noon, worst time for a black vehicle I still had some swirls. So I went and exchanged for the porter cable. Now it's perfect. Was pricey But whatever. Get what you pay for seems to be the case here
Old 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
Mechanically Goofy
neonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shedneonlazer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
neonlazer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunxbun View Post
Porter Cable 7424...
X2, First time ever doing something like this and worked out great!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #16
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
PC7424 about 6 yrs. Works great. Still using the pads that came with the kit from autogeek. Probably due for a new set.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.autogeek.net/ma927po.html

I do tons of wet sanding and polishing at the Autobody shop I work at and this is the polisher I use. Works really well and has a ton of power and is really reliable.

Like that link says you do have to be careful because people who are inexperienced can pretty easily burn through the clear but the flip side to that is that it lets you really easily remove swirls if you know what your doing.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #18
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
I use both DA & rotary ,, My 6 year truck looks better then a lot of new high $ cars.. Hi speed is out if you are new to buffers, Ive seen burnt ups I could not save.. A young one with a 200$ high speed is bad news !!! Jim
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
REB is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Robert
REB's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Porter Cable about 10 days ago. You can get the it from Home Depot.com now for $109.00. I was already placing an order with Autogeek, so I bought it from them and they gave me the price match. I didn't have my new Tacoma at the time (just picked it up yesterday---I love it), so I tried it out on my 2004 4Runner (only 38,000 miles on it) I cannot believe how easy it was to do the whole 4Runner. I don't think it has ever looked better. I used Maguiars #21 Sealant. I highly recommend getting the PC. You won't regret it

Products Discussed in this Thread