Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Best black wheel paint?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Best black wheel paint?

So I've bookmarked a multitude of walkthroughs/etc for painting the stock alloy wheels.

I am definitely going to paint them black.... and I'm leaning towards flat black. Definitely shying away from glossy. I don't like when the wheel is gloss black and the tire is either a dull black or grayish in color.

However I'm trying to decide what's the best paint option. I see some flat black wheels around town and they almost have a purple-gray hue to it. I don't like that.

What I'm after is a really dark/deep black that isn't glossy. I saw one member who painted his front plate bumper "industrial black" or something like that and it was awesome looking... and for some reason I don't have it bookmarked.

Any thoughts/insight would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
pjs42 is on a distinguished road

Army: Enginering
Name: Steve
pjs42's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Wheel Paint

I'm thinking about red. $ 360. @ the body shop near me.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
i personally have painted mine flat black on my 2006 and then plasti-dipped them black on my 2012, both came out awesome only difference was on the first set i washed them sanded with a 2K grit and rubbed them down with alcohol then washed them again. Next i put 2 coats of krylon primer on them, let them dry then put 3 coats of krylon out door flat black spray paint on them and they turned out amazing (when i sold it the people thought i actually had after market rims on it). On my 2012 i just took them off washed them and dried them, then sprayed on 3-4 coats of black plasti-dip and they too turned out amazing. The plasti-dip even held up to multiple muddin and wheelin trips. It only scratched when i had to pull some one out on the side of some train tracks with a lot of big rocks. The plasti-dip peeled right off and could be re-done. Hope this helps. Also my first set stayed deep dark black with no purplish hue to them what so ever.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks CC.

I think I'm going to go the prep, primer & paint route.

I haven't ever had a good plasti-dip experience... I just can't seem to get a nice smooth and even coat on to save my life.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery

Rustoleum High Performance Enamel. They're still looking pretty good to me to this day
Old 05-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #7

I remember you had an issue with using primer.

It's interesting because every write up and youtube tutorial I've seen says to use self etching primer on our alloy wheels.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I remember you had an issue with using primer.

It's interesting because every write up and youtube tutorial I've seen says to use self etching primer on our alloy wheels.
i just used normal krylon spray paint primer after scuffing up the rims a little nothing too much or abrasive. came out really smooth and even
Old 05-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
wmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant futurewmflyfisher has a brilliant future

Name: Wes
wmflyfisher's Tacoma Gallery
As for paint IMO this is the best for wheels. I've done a few sets with the gunmetal and it's held up wonderful. This paint was made to do the job.

http://www.jbtoolsales.com/duplicolo...11-oz-aerosol/