Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

I Fear For My Clearcoat

Old 05-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
DolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really nice

DolphinJohn's Tacoma Gallery
I Fear For My Clearcoat

I live in Key West and my truck is parked outside in full sun most of the day.
I had a 2000 that had big spots of sun damage, and I see it on a lot of vehicles down here.

On my new truck, I am keeping it waxed with Optimum spray-on every few washes (supposed to have superior UV protection) and Eagle spray-on every wash. Even with keeping it coated, I worry that the intense sun and heat will break down my clear.

I've read here on TW that most people advise against covers, citing scratches from blowing in the wind and constant removal and re-covering.
I can see that, but I ride my motorcycle to work most of the time and my truck sits for days at a time sometimes.

I want to protect my investment as best as I can.
Any advice would be appreciated.
My truck is Magnetic Grey as you can see in my sig.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a vinyl wrap on the top surfaces will help.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #3
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
I live in Key West and my truck is parked outside in full sun most of the day.
I had a 2000 that had big spots of sun damage, and I see it on a lot of vehicles down here.

On my new truck, I am keeping it waxed with Optimum spray-on every few washes (supposed to have superior UV protection) and Eagle spray-on every wash. Even with keeping it coated, I worry that the intense sun and heat will break down my clear.

I've read here on TW that most people advise against covers, citing scratches from blowing in the wind and constant removal and re-covering.
I can see that, but I ride my motorcycle to work most of the time and my truck sits for days at a time sometimes.

I want to protect my investment as best as I can.
Any advice would be appreciated.
My truck is Magnetic Grey as you can see in my sig.

Thanks,
John
nice truck. My feeling is to get a good quality cover, get one that you can tie down. If your truck sits for days at a time I wouldn't see where a cover would be that much of a hassle. Good luck
Old 05-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
A good wax and a quality cover will do well. A quality cover is key. They are designed to cover a $250,000 sports car, so I am sure they will not scratch your truck. You may be looking at paying $100 or more for a decent cover.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't seen much of an issue as long as you keep it clean and waxed...people that do t take care of their car are the ones that are surprised when it looks like crap after they wash 5 years of crud off the hood...

We could prob help you more in the South Fla BS Thread...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/flo...ml#post6841160