Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Help w/ Scratches

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Name: Chris
SoBaySick's Tacoma Gallery
Help w/ Scratches

Last month we loaded up the bed of the Taco and made a run to the dumps. When we got there, I was unhappy to see that a large piece of metal chicken wire type material was hanging over the tailgate and scratched the crap out of my tailgate.

Then, when I washed the taco this afternoon I came across a WHOLE BUNCH of small annoying scratches in one spot (dunno how they got there?)

I tried Meguir's ScratchX 2.0 and it didn't seem to work, but I may have done something wrong.

The scratches don't seem to be deep. You can't hardly feel them with your finger.

Any help or advice on how to remove these would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
I Used GS 27 . I don't know if they still existed. The Other day I saw something at Harbor Frieght that claimed to take care of the scratches... You can check it out ..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Try a buffer
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Judging by how they look in those photos.. Those are going to require wet sanding followed by polishing to even hope to remove them.

I have one or two almost as bad as you, and I've tried using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and orbital polisher, followed by polish and wax... I can get them diminished quite a bit..but it's really just hidden temporarily until the wax wears off.

I really think heavy cutting compounds at the very least.. and more likely wet sanding are your only hope if you intend on getting rid of them.
If they are through the clear coat, I think the only way to solve it totally is a re-paint.
I haven't got guts enough to wet sand yet... I think I'd take it to a pro if you don't.

Check out the other threads in this section..there are some pros that hang out in here.. and lots of good advice.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
SoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to allSoBaySick is a name known to all
Name: Chris
SoBaySick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
Judging by how they look in those photos.. Those are going to require wet sanding followed by polishing to even hope to remove them.

I have one or two almost as bad as you, and I've tried using Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and orbital polisher, followed by polish and wax... I can get them diminished quite a bit..but it's really just hidden temporarily until the wax wears off.

I really think heavy cutting compounds at the very least.. and more likely wet sanding are your only hope if you intend on getting rid of them.
If they are through the clear coat, I think the only way to solve it totally is a re-paint.
I haven't got guts enough to wet sand yet... I think I'd take it to a pro if you don't.

Check out the other threads in this section..there are some pros that hang out in here.. and lots of good advice.
Thats what I'm afraid of... Yea I don't have the guts either haha. When I can afford it I'll take it to a pro! Can I wax it in the mean time? Or no?
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
AZ4point0 is on a distinguished road
Name: V
AZ4point0's Tacoma Gallery
looks to be pretty deep, you might be able to get away with 3000 grit first and then buff like khx73 said

take it to a body shop and pay the money, have them do it
if they burn through the paint they will have to repaint it on their dime
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBaySick View Post
Thats what I'm afraid of... Yea I don't have the guts either haha. When I can afford it I'll take it to a pro! Can I wax it in the mean time? Or no?
Yeah you can wax it. You will want to anyway.. because a good wax job will minimize the visibility of the scratches for a while. Unless they're REAL bad.