1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Boutique vs. OTC

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by fcca, May 14, 2013.

1. May 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM
    fcca

fcca [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    California
    Is there a big difference in the cleaners and polishes you buy from these boutique places (Adams, Chemical Guys, Zaino, etc.) vs. the stuff you can buy at the local auto parts store? I noticed a lot of members use Meguiars

Anyone have any opinions on Adams products?

Thanks,

2. May 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Never used Adams but I've had great luck with Meguiars brand stuff. The only thing from Meguiars that I bought and didn't like was their interior cleaner wipes. I don't think they did a great job picking up dirt and would leave streaks. Their exterior products seem to do an excellent job. I don't have a show truck by any means but I do detail it twice a year and wash it probably every other weekend at the very least during the warm months, so I do like a clean truck.

3. May 14, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    I am not a professional detailer, but like Pugga, I also like to keep my truck clean & detail it at least once or twice a year. I have never bought boutique products & but for my needs, Meguiars products have worked perfectly fine.

From all the video's I've watched trying to learn how to detail vehicles the professional way, I think any professional will answer you question by saying: Is there a difference between boutique & OTC products? Yes, but there is also a difference between boutique product ABC & boutique product XYZ.
    What you are trying to achieve & what you are working with (vehicle paint & condition) will dictate what you should use.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  4. May 14, 2013 at 6:17 PM
    fcca

fcca [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    California
    Thanks Mike and Rocco.

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys, detail 2-3 times a year, wash every two weeks.

Got any recommendations for an interior detailer?

5. May 14, 2013 at 11:12 PM
    AaronArf

AaronArf Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    VA Beach
    Vehicle:
    2023 LR OR DCSB
    For detailing only 2-3 times a year, I suggest Zaino. Expensive, but its a extremely long lasting sealant.

zainobros.com

6. May 15, 2013 at 5:08 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Stay away from the Meguire's NXT 2.0... Got some from what others had said on here and within a week there as no beading whatsoever. Yes, I said a WEEK...It rained and there wasn't event the slightest hint of a bead!:mad:

When I get a chance, will go back and put my old Turtle Wax Ice on it - at least I know it actually beads up for a while...

7. May 15, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I beleive from former posts , the fancy expensive waxes are much softer than the cheaper polishes and waxes . The expensive buotique waxes look better but require more buff time or once a week type of detailing .
    I use the mothers 3 step program and am finding that dirt particles penetrate the final Carnuba application very easy .
    Having wider tires on the truck and crappy factory mud flaps , I prefer a hard wax below the body line . I try to prevent the tires from chipping Toyotas soft paint .
    Their paint chips extremely easy so I suggest a few layers of quality sealant near the rubber

8. May 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    a couple years ago i tried my first boutique stuff... now nothing OTC touches my vehicles. i can do a complete exterior detail on my truck (clay, cleaner, micro polish, sealant, and wax)in the time it takes to just "smear" on and "scrub" off an otc brand wax. I know you think im blowing smoke, but i kid you not it takes like 15 mins to wipe wax or sealant on and about another 15 to buff it off. that is one of the huge differences that i have noticed. thing is most of the places will have amazing sales from time to time and that is when you purchase. but be warned it is just as addictive as buying mods for your truck.

in short, not only will you get a better result with a boutique but imo where it really pays off is the ease of application/removal. used to spend all day just on my truck and barely be able to lift my arm at the end of the day. now i start at 6 am on a sat or sun morning and knock out my truck and the wifes rav4 and just end up eating a late lunch around 130 or 2pm and spend the rest of the afternoon relaxing.

9. May 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM
    fcca

fcca [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    California
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

I bit the bullet and placed an order with Adams. We'll see how it goes...

Products Discussed in

To Top