Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Can I buff out my brother's de-badging "help?"

Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #21
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
That's cool.

Let him fix it... then throat-punch him
Haha! When we were kids he throat punched me once, so I guess I owe him one back.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkt View Post
Griot's Garage http://www.griotsgarage.com/ has some great car care products. I had some scratches from taking my truck out on the trails and their polishes took them out. Good luck.
Cool, I'll check it out. And welcome to TW!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkt View Post
Griot's Garage http://www.griotsgarage.com/ has some great car care products. I had some scratches from taking my truck out on the trails and their polishes took them out. Good luck.
I know I'm completely hijacking my own thread but....

I noticed where you're located and that made me think of something. Another member on here is selling some really nice N-Fab step bars that are for sale in Port Angeles. I don't know if you're interested or not, but I thought I'd pass on some info in case you are since its pretty close to where you live. They're for a double cab and it looks like you have a double cab too. Here's the link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...step-bars.html

And don't worry, I don't charge a finder's fee.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #24
Peanut Butter and Jaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Pew Professional
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
I had similar scratches on my BMW. I used a orbital palm buffer and Meguires compound. let the buffer do the job, don't use force and push down on it excessively.

After I buffed it out as much as possible. I used Meguires 3 step polish/sealant/wax series to bring it back.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Torkt is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
Torkt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know I'm completely hijacking my own thread but....

I noticed where you're located and that made me think of something. Another member on here is selling some really nice N-Fab step bars that are for sale in Port Angeles. I don't know if you're interested or not, but I thought I'd pass on some info in case you are since its pretty close to where you live. They're for a double cab and it looks like you have a double cab too. Here's the link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...step-bars.html

And don't worry, I don't charge a finder's fee.
Those look great, but I would really like a nice set of bolt on sliders. My favorite ones so far are the Famous Fabrication sliders. Only problem is looks like he isn't making them any more .
Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #26
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
This.

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, the clearcoat is compromised. He owes you a new paint job.
Unless of course the OP asked him to do the debadging, IMO

Quote:
The "ghosting" from the color fade, OTOH, is there forever. That is in the red under the clear and it won't buff out. Red is a horrible color for fade and I would never debadge a red vehicle older than 6 months or so.
I debadged my Sunfire Red Pearl 12 years or so later... had a little bit of ghosting, it buffed right out pretty much and since has gone away completely after getting some UV treatment itself.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I debadged my Sunfire Red Pearl 12 years or so later... had a little bit of ghosting, it buffed right out pretty much and since has gone away completely after getting some UV treatment itself.
That's what I'm hoping for. I went into it knowing that there was a possibility of a little ghosting since the truck is an '05. So I'm hoping that proper buffing can minimize the ghosting that is there. And then I hope over time the sun "smooth" it out even more.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #28

UPDATE:

In case any of you are interested, I was able to get rid of most of the ghosting and some of the with Meguires. But the deeper scratches remain... However, these deeper scratches are barely visible from a couple feet away and impossible to see from about five away. So I'm not terribly worried about it. Yeah, getting the tailgate re-painted would be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth it over a few scratches that are not very visible. Plus, it's a truck. It's bound to get scratches every now and then. Thank you for all your help and suggestions!
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
UPDATE:

In case any of you are interested, I was able to get rid of most of the ghosting and some of the with Meguires. But the deeper scratches remain... However, these deeper scratches are barely visible from a couple feet away and impossible to see from about five away. So I'm not terribly worried about it. Yeah, getting the tailgate re-painted would be nice, but I'm not sure it's worth it over a few scratches that are not very visible. Plus, it's a truck. It's bound to get scratches every now and then. Thank you for all your help and suggestions!
Go wheeling through the woods and you'll forget all about them

Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
If you can get your hands on a bit of 3000 wet sanding paper and have a polisher give the scratches a light sand and then polish it out. That will probably get the rest of the scratches out.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Go wheeling through the woods and you'll forget all about them

Haha, that will definitely help them "blend" in the rest of the truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseit View Post
If you can get your hands on a bit of 3000 wet sanding paper and have a polisher give the scratches a light sand and then polish it out. That will probably get the rest of the scratches out.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try some time.