Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Can I buff out my brother's de-badging "help?"

Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Can I buff out my brother's de-badging "help?"

I let my brother "help" me debadge my truck yesterday. When he finished, everything looked great. But when I looked at the tailgate today, I noticed a bunch of little scratches where the badges used to be, as well a slight outline of the badges. I tried to get the best possible pictures for you guys. The pictures show more of a color separation between the paint and the scratches so it's not quite as bad as the pictures look; but its close. I realized some of the scratches might be through the paint, but it looks as though most of them are not.

So my question is, can I clean this up with a buffer and/or elbow grease? If so, which products would you recommend I use? I really don't want to have to get my tailgate painted but I realize that might be a possibility. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #2
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to tell, from the pics, but if the white primer is showing through, too late for buffing, IMO.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
How did he create these scratches? Is that primer showing through?

Also for future reference: The best way to de-badge is to use fishing line and a blow dryer.. Heat up the badge, use fishing line as a saw, the bar and tar remover for the rest.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
How did he create these scratches? Is that primer showing through?

Also for future reference: The best way to de-badge is to use fishing line and a blow dryer.. Heat up the badge, use fishing line as a saw, the bar and tar remover for the rest.
He used a plastic scraper. The kind you use to remove interior body pieces like door panels. The scratches are white, and the paint is Barcelona Red so it could be the primer.

I told him about the fishing line, but he said he used the plastic scraper on his car and didn't have any problems.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Did you use a screwdriver ?
He might as well have at this point. It probably wouldn't be any more messed up than it is now.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
It is hard to tell from the pictures... if they're just scuffs in the clear coat, I'd try some rubbing compound with a polisher. I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a dual action polisher and got some pretty nasty stuff out. If it's too deep you may have to go to wet sanding and polishing. Take it to a pro if that's not in your comfort zone.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
He might as well have at this point. It probably wouldn't be any more messed up than it is now.
The scraper may have had some ridges worn into it
Old 05-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by khx73 View Post
It is hard to tell from the pictures... if they're just scuffs in the clear coat, I'd try some rubbing compound with a polisher. I've used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a dual action polisher and got some pretty nasty stuff out. If it's too deep you may have to go to wet sanding and polishing. Take it to a pro if that's not in your comfort zone.
Thanks! I'm sure some of it is just scratches in the clear coat but probably not all of it. I'll give rubbing compound a try and see what happens. If wet sanding is necessary I'll take it to a pro. And if my brother offers to do the wet sanding instead, I'll punch him right in the face and tell him to stay away from my paint!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This.

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, the clearcoat is compromised. He owes you a new paint job.
If you can not feel them, it should buff out.

The "ghosting" from the color fade, OTOH, is there forever. That is in the red under the clear and it won't buff out. Red is a horrible color for fade and I would never debadge a red vehicle older than 6 months or so.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
This.

If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, the clearcoat is compromised. He owes you a new paint job.
If you can not feel them, it should buff out.
I just went out and felt around. I can barely feel only a few small spots. Most of it feels pretty smooth though. If most of it buffs out but I ultimately need a new paint job, should I put some kind of coating on the tail gate until it gets painted? I'm pretty sure my brother doesn't have enough money laying around to pay for it right away so it might be a month or two before it would happen.

Quote:
The "ghosting" from the color fade, OTOH, is there forever. That is in the red under the clear and it won't buff out. Red is a horrible color for fade and I would never debadge a red vehicle older than 6 months or so.
I wish I would have known this three days ago.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
It really doesn't look that bad but it might just be the pictures.

Give a quick finger blast with polish and it will probably come out. I'm pretty much positive that at the very least the colour will come back. You might be able to see the scratch in the right light at the right angle but I don't think paying a couple hundred bucks to fix a really small imperfection on a truck is worth it personally.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
You can't see me
dand is a splendid one to beholddand is a splendid one to beholddand is a splendid one to beholddand is a splendid one to beholddand is a splendid one to beholddand is a splendid one to beholddand is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dan
dand's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!And if my brother offers to do the wet sanding instead, I'll punch him right in the face and tell him to stay away from my paint!
LOL. He probably already has the right tool for the job!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #14
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
LOL. He probably already has the right tool for the job!
"Hey man, check out this new 80 grit wet-or-dry I got from the body guy!"
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
khx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkhx73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

khx73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! I'm sure some of it is just scratches in the clear coat but probably not all of it. I'll give rubbing compound a try and see what happens. If wet sanding is necessary I'll take it to a pro. And if my brother offers to do the wet sanding instead, I'll punch him right in the face and tell him to stay away from my paint!
LOL

If the ghosting and/or the scratches bother you too much, you can always put the badge back on over it
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
JRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to beholdJRFugitt is a splendid one to behold
Army: DOD Civilian
Name: Justin
JRFugitt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This^ don't do it by hand use a buffer with light pressure Meguire's compound is great stuff just use a light touch and let the compound do the work.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRFugitt View Post
This^ don't do it by hand use a buffer with light pressure Meguire's compound is great stuff just use a light touch and let the compound do the work.
Seems like Meguires is the stuff to use. I'll definitely pick up some of that soon. I won't have time to get to it until next week but I'll update you guys after its finished. Hopefully with good news. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #18

Quote:
"Hey man, check out this new 80 grit wet-or-dry I got from the body guy!"
Haha. Man, if he said that I seriously think I would punch him. But he's being nice about the scratches though. He said if using Meguires at home doesn't work that he'd pay to take it somewhere and get it fixed properly.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Torkt is on a distinguished road

Name: Russell
Torkt's Tacoma Gallery
Griot's Garage http://www.griotsgarage.com/ has some great car care products. I had some scratches from taking my truck out on the trails and their polishes took them out. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Haha. Man, if he said that I seriously think I would punch him. But he's being nice about the scratches though. He said if using Meguires at home doesn't work that he'd pay to take it somewhere and get it fixed properly.
That's cool.

Let him fix it... then throat-punch him