LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Need Painting Advice

Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Need Painting Advice

I'm thinking of buying this grille and then color-matching it myself. It's brand new, aftermarket with a black surround. I want to paint it Barcelona Red.

My question is regarding prep. Since it's new, would a light sand with say 1000 grit, spray with fillable primer, couple coats of adhesion promoter, then color spray work or is there something else I should do? I would also clear after painting.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum - wasn't sure which was more appropriate.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Really guys? nothing.....

wrong forum?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Die hard Toyota fan!
66chevelless511 is on a distinguished road

66chevelless511's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't research details of what's on it as is, but my painting practice on new materials for a color change only is to use either SEM "scuff and clean" with a grey scotchbrite pad, or comet and a grey scotchbrite. Scuff it good, color right over that (no prime necessary, just have enough color to hide), then clear. This is a relatively common paint shop practice. Hope it helps!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #4
Dental Floss Tycoon

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66chevelless511 View Post
Didn't research details of what's on it as is, but my painting practice on new materials for a color change only is to use either SEM "scuff and clean" with a grey scotchbrite pad, or comet and a grey scotchbrite. Scuff it good, color right over that (no prime necessary, just have enough color to hide), then clear. This is a relatively common paint shop practice. Hope it helps!
Thanks for the advice. Didn't want to buy a new grille then mess it up cause I didn't know what I was doing. What about using adhesion promoter before painting?

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Die hard Toyota fan!
66chevelless511 is on a distinguished road

66chevelless511's Tacoma Gallery
If it has any kind of finish on it now, i personally wouldn't worry about am adhesion promoter... But if it is bare plastic, an adhesion promoter is agood idea, it also helps with static on the plastic. This has been my experience anyway. Have fun! I may be doing somethings similar, as i would like to color match mine (may try to paint over the chrome, but that isn't something I've ever done, it may not scuff as i expect, and may want to save the chrome one.) Where'd you find this grill?
Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #6
Dental Floss Tycoon

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again. I think I'll use the adhesion promoter. Couldn't hurt.

Here's the grille:

I went the plasti dip route with my grille. Looks good but would prefer to color match. That said, I would like to save the original "chrome" grille just in case.