Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

3M Paint Defender - anyone try this yet?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
searchgeek
sportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsguy's Tacoma Gallery
3M Paint Defender - anyone try this yet?

Tape of the area to be sprayed, spray it on like paint, wait for it to dry like a vinyl wrap - peel off when you decide to remove it.

3M Paint Defender

If it handles UV well (it should given its 3M), this oculd be a handy way to protect areas on our trucks prone to stone chips.

Just wondering if anyone here has tried the product yet - tried searching the product name here and came up with zero results.

http://youtu.be/fi3hJYmtKR4

http://youtu.be/YRvL1aqG9JI
Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Looks interesting.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
top flight security
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
its their own version of plastidip, theres a few other brands that have it aswell.

theres a comparison video on youtube showing plastdip vs another brand, pretty much the same thing expect PD is cheaper.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
runner05 is on a distinguished road
Name: Karl
runner05's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a good protection. But I think, not worth the cost if you do road trip often
Old 07-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
pcabinatan is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
pcabinatan's Tacoma Gallery
This stuff worked for all of 3 weeks for me in Arizona. I use the entire can on the forward 8" of the hood from edge to edge.

If you use it, make sure its very cool outside, do not tilt the can as it foams up and drips, and needs several days to fully cure.

I took a rock chip to the front of the hood, it split the defender and chipped the paint, so i decided it would pull off the stuff...well it didnt come up like PlastiDip and i still have to clean the various tears to it off my hood.

Deff not what I expected from a 3M product.

My truck is white so what I going to do is mask off the hood, spray several coats of white Plasti and then go over it with the glossifier.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
:D
Jux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shedJux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Jux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcabinatan View Post
My truck is white so what I going to do is mask off the hood, spray several coats of white Plasti and then go over it with the glossifier.
Post pics once it's done, I'm interested in a similar approach.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
pcabinatan is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
pcabinatan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux View Post
Post pics once it's done, I'm interested in a similar approach.
ill be sure too, still trying to get the 3M stuff off the hood. I just bought some GooGone to help.