1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fresh Paint Need "Curing" Before Clear Bra?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Hot Taco, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Jun 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM
    Hot Taco

Hot Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    Beefed Taco 3" Lowering Blocks DJM 3" Front Lowering Kit Custom C-Notch Intermittent Wipers LED tail lights
    I have a base model Tacoma which came with black bumpers and I just had them color matched ot my truck. I also purchased a clear bra kit (3M VentureSheild) for my truck to hopefully keep my newly painted bumper ($$$) from getting all chipped-up.

Should I let the newly painted bumper "cure" for a while before applying the clear bra, or won't it matter?

My obvious concern with not putting the clear bra on right away is that the bumper might get chipped!

2. Jun 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    In my bodyshop, we have film installed the next day. There used to be concern that the film would trap solvents & discolor the paint, but both paint and clear protectant film have made such leaps and bounds over the last 10 years that I have never seen it actually cause a problem. Go for it!

3. Jun 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    everytime I have had bodywork done that involved painting I have been told not to even wax it for a month or two just to be on the safe side. Not sure but it is one of the top shops in the area so I trust what they say.

4. Jun 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    WHPLSH3

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Waxing seals the solvents in if you do it on fresh paint.
    Clear film is porous enough to let the solvents through. That's why even if there's a bubble of installation solution underneath, it evaporates through.
    If the shop is using name brand film, it should be fine

5. Jun 27, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    I professionally install clear bra. The films I install are Xpel, Avery and Suntek. I used to install Venture(hate it now).

No manufacturer would say it's ok to install clear bra on fresh paint. You should wait for it to finish off gassing first. Contact the painter and ask them how long until it finishes curing.

Doing any less is taking a chance.

6. Jun 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Well considering if you let masking paper get wet and sit on old paint for a while can fuck it up and leave gnarly marks all over it that have to be wetsanded out I would 100% let it cure before doing anything like putting a clear bra on it.

7. Jun 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM
    TPain

TPain Boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 Supercharged
    At least 24 hours after it has been painted with good sunlight. Since (I'm assuming) it was a plastic piece that was painted the cure time will not be nearly as long as paint on a metal body panel.

8. Jun 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Hot Taco

Hot Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richfield, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base Regular Cab
    Beefed Taco 3" Lowering Blocks DJM 3" Front Lowering Kit Custom C-Notch Intermittent Wipers LED tail lights
    The general consensus here and else-where on the Interweb seems to be that it can't hurt to wait. Maybe if I just drive 20 MPH under the speed limit, that'll help keep rocks from finding my newly painted bumper :p

[​IMG]

9. Jun 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    WHPLSH3

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Couldn't hurt! The majority wins...:typing:

10. Jul 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    MiniBike

MiniBike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Since this thread is current and my question is related, let me piggyback on this thread for a moment please. I've seen much better info on here than I can get from my dealer.

I've got a white '09 base and I too have looked into having the bumpers painted. The front one is my primary concern. Out of 5 shops, I only found one that would even touch it - and he said the paint wouldn't really match that well because of the textured finish on the base's front bumper. He did say that he'd spray an adhesive agent on it first. Since I haven't found anything available at the nearby dismantlers, I'm wondering whether to leave it as is or spend the $500 he wants and hope it turns out well.

From the look of the OP's photo, it looks like his bumper may not have a textured finish like mine. Did newer base Tacos have smooth bumpers? I'm almost afraid to see what the dealer would want for a new bumper that would probably be primered anyway.

BTW, street use only for this one, so no ARB's or the like.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  11. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    WHPLSH3

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    When we buy a new bumper from Toyota, it comes textured. The difference is that it also has a primer on it (sometimes). A reputable, experienced shop should be able to get paint to stick to it. I can't speak for all paint companies, but in my shop we use PPG and they use a "nano technology" for the first steps of prepping bare plastics... works amazing! Never had one peel.
    A problem that might be encountered with yours is scuffs in it from age. If it has a lot, it will need primed first, which is way more labour intensive because you need to sand every nook and cranny twice.
    Are you talking to big shops or little guys? I think a big shop would be more likely to do it...

12. Jul 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    Sometimes bumpers are difficult to colour match. The plastic causes the paint to dry differently and it can turn out a slightly different shade than another panel using the exact same paint.

Having said that there should be no issue getting the paint to to stick to a bumper. Considering that's where most cars are damaged in an accident it doesn't make sense for that to be an issue.

13. Aug 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    MiniBike

MiniBike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks for the input. I was in a pinch when I bought this truck (I wrecked my wife's van the day before) and I didn't get have time to research or find all the options I really wanted. When I found this '09 Access Cab with less than 30K on it, I figured I could gradually turn it into something that fit my style. The bumper is pretty clean. The main line shops were the ones who turned me away without even looking at it. A local custom "pimp my ride" guy said he could do it. He quoted me $500 for the front and rear bumpers, I'll see if I can get him to add the rearview mirrors and we may be in business.

Wish me luck. And thanks again for the input from this site. I will be back!

Products Discussed in

To Top