Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Re-painting fenders some disassembly required?

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
BBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
BBlank12's Tacoma Gallery
Re-painting fenders some disassembly required?

we have all had those wonderful black fenders that turn not so black after years of joyful use. after 12 years my 2001 tacoma needs a some touch up. i have obtained the paint but i would like to see if anyone has some good tips for removing the fenders properly along with some painting tips for the fenders as well.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
there are red and blue plastic clips that hold the top part of the fenders on. you WILL break almost all of them taking the fender flares off -- it is unavoidable. the dealership wants $2 per clip so stock up ahead of time with clips from eBay. i learned this the hard way.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 06-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
There really is no need to remove the fenders if you can mask off the area around them. If you do wish to remove them anyway you will find a bolt hidden behind the front door opening, as well as 2 bolts underneath the fender at the door. Then remove the clearance light and you will find a few that you can get behind it. Also the small "filler" panel under the headlight needs to be removed to reach a bolt there. Then remove the inner fender liner. After that there are several bolts you will reach from under the hood. Fender should easily come off at this point. I always use a lot of 2 or 4 inch masking tape to tape the door panel because no matter how hard you try, you eventually end up hitting the door slightly, and you don't want to scratch the paint. How are you planning on painting it? Rattle can or 2-stage?
Old 06-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
he did say "fenders" but i think he meant to say "fender flares". i suppose you could mask off the flares but it's probably ultimately easier to just remove them...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
BBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant futureBBlank12 has a brilliant future

As of now i have removed the front driver side fender i did break off those clips. i sanded with 400 then hit it with some rustolem primer a few times then a coat of rustolem black trim paint. it seems to have a few finger prints or something that smugged the paint but i am going to put another coat on today. i have having trouble removing the rear flares also
*I am refering to the fender flares
Old 06-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
sucks for 01-04 tacos

the 98-00's are just screwed into the fender. no clips, no breaking!

repainted mine about two months ago and loved the way it refreshed the look of the truck. painted the front bumper black as well.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #7

i just finished the fronts broke all but 5 clips. im hoping the paint will make it through a few washes...unlike my tool box