Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Help me get the stink out!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Help me get the stink out!

So a year ago now I spilled an entire venti Starbucks mocha latte all over my driver's seat and driver-side floor carpeting. I must have spent 3 days trying to clean that mess up by rinsing with water and soaking it up with paper towels and a shop vac.

Even after all that, the residual stale coffee and sour milk odor continues to haunt my truck and gives it that "old car" stink. I would guess all from that one incident, as I almost never eat or allow food in my truck and I'm ultra anal about keeping it clean.

Can anyone suggest strategies to get the stink out? I do NOT want to use artificial deodorizers like sprays or hanging air fresheners, or even shampoos with perfumes or scents. I don't want it to smell like a flower, I just want it to smell neutral.

Thoughts? Should I remove my driver side seat and give it a thorough cleaning from the inside out? Should I rent a carpet steamer for the floor carpets? Or would all that be futile at this point?
Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
sliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the roughsliverworm is a jewel in the rough

sliverworm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sliverworm
That seems logical to me.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance
jolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shedjolayiv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SSgt 6332
Name: Jim
jolayiv's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jolayiv
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Starbucks mocha latte
Thats the problem right there. Your truck is telling you to drink some real coffee!

As far as your problem I would try the steam or take it into a detailer.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
MurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphyZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Air Traffic Control
Name: I HATE SPICYTACOS
MurphyZ's Tacoma Gallery
peroxide

sounds weird but go online and see what you have to delute it to and then you spray some into a rag and then you rub it in.
my wife did it for me when in my truck i took a corner too quick and a gallon of milk spilt in the back of my AC taco. she just said give me some time. after some time smell was gone.
peroxide is some amazing stuff.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Take the seat and carpet out. That crap is going to stuck underneath the carpet on the floorpan. And I would suggest steaming also.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
CrawGator is on a distinguished road
Army: 134th Combat Engineers
CrawGator's Tacoma Gallery
We had a truck that got wet on the inside once( 1980ish Chevy stepside). We let it dry or so we thought but it was semi damp in the pad and eventually got mold. We ended up having to remove all the carpet, wash it down with odorban and put new carpet in. If you have a detailer that uses a steam cleaner that can get most if not all out as long as you can get the steam to all of the material.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
bawilson21 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Veteran
Name: Bryan
bawilson21's Tacoma Gallery
My truck now has the stink in it... I was helping my girlfriend move and she put some food in my back seat. Well, she didnt tell me that the milk was leaking and she had tried to contain it all in a plastic bag (you know, the ones from walmart that ALWAYS has holes in it... Well, She realizes that it leaked all over but didnt tell me. It wasnt until 4 days later after I REALLY started to smell the STINK and questioned her about it did I get the truth...

You know, It really isnt too big of a deal, but I wish she would've told me so the milk wasnt bakin in the Arizona heat for 4 days........
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
whitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

whitetaco01's Tacoma Gallery
I've used the wet okole shampoo on my carpet and it seems to get the stink out. I've also used wetsuit cleaner, its worth a try
Old 08-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
You probably have some residual coffee that is underneath the carpet. If there is padding underneath the carpet, I would clean the padding as well. Use some good carpet shampoo and then let everything dry completely.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
You probably have some residual coffee that is underneath the carpet. If there is padding underneath the carpet, I would clean the padding as well. Use some good carpet shampoo and then let everything dry completely.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I peeled the carpet back and shampooed the underlayment padding.

As a side note, I learned a lesson here -- I rented a steamer from the grocery store and the previous user must have used it to vacuum up cat pee out of a carpet, because it had some residual cat whiz in the tubing and cycled it thru my truck's carpet -- so my truck went from smelling like sour milk to smelling like a cat had had it's way with the carpeting.

I ended up renting a different steamer that luckily got the cat piss and coffee out, but I had to use pet urine neutralizer to get the stink out.

Now my truck just smells like damp wood from the MDF that I used to build my sub box...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #11
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Whenever my truck smells....I just roll the windows down. Leave them down at all times for a couple days. Then I"m good. It smeeled terrible after I painted my sub enclose and painted my platform.

*DISCLAIMER: I"m not responsible if your truck is broken into and/or stole n as a result of my advice
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a car a couple of years ago that smelled terribly of cigarette smoke. My buddy owns a dry cleaning business and he had an ozone generator. It's what they use to get smoke smells out of clothes and drapes when there has been a house fire. We turned it on and left it in there running for about 6 hours. All the cigarette smell was gone. Worked wonders.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
Ive seen this episode of seinfeld, it didnt end well, glad you had a different result! I wish they sold new car smell in a can tho hehe.