Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Debadge or Plasti-dip?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
2013TXEDITION has a spectacular aura about2013TXEDITION has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wayne
2013TXEDITION's Tacoma Gallery
Debadge or Plasti-dip?

I have a 2013 Texas Edition/Prerunner/Sr5...it has a few extra badges (circle with star on each door and tailgate). I am debating on whether I should debadge or plasti-dip 'em...

Any thoughts? I haven't seen any pics of the circle with the star plasti-dipped...has anybody done it?

One more thing...I saw a few posts that said if you wait too long to debadge, the paint gets etched or is darker under the badges...any feedback on that too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance-
WZ
Old 06-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
Twat did you say?
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
I left my badges on for 2 years and just removed them, I washed and waxed and you can't even tell they were there. As for plastidipping the circle Texas badges I say try it if you don't like it just peel it off
Old 06-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
It is all personal preference, but I prefer de-badged.

As far as shadowing if you wait too long, you will be ok if you debadge now. I waited about 6 months before I debadged, and had no shadowing.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
T Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shedT Fades is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
If you do remove the badges, clean the area really well after, then wax the area to protect.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
2013TXEDITION has a spectacular aura about2013TXEDITION has a spectacular aura about

Name: Wayne
2013TXEDITION's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Here is another idea I had...debadging everywhere then putting just the circle with the star back on above/near the rear door handle (like on the TX Edition Tundras) and centering Tacoma on the tailgate with the circle and star either above or below it.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
"Some people feel the rain, others just get wet"
HawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedHawaiiTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
HawaiiTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Since plasti-dip is so cheap you could just try it out and if you don't like it then debadge. I prefer debadging, which is what I did. Did mines a year after purchase and there's no marks. I think the shadowing that gets left behind probably takes a few years before really becoming a problem
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

T Fades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013TXEDITION View Post
centering Tacoma on the tailgate with the circle and star either above or below it.
Just my opinion, but I don't like when badges are centered on the tailgate. To me, either leave them and dip, or remove.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Only some colours get the shadowing red is bad for it. I really don't like how centered emblems look personally