LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Keeping rust off chrome...for good

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
Goosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shedGoosedog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Goosedog's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping rust off chrome...for good

The center caps on my Mickey Thompson rims keep rusting, they are chrome vs the rims being aluminum. I used to steel wool them, then a light coat of WD40 would keep the rust away for awhile but now I want something more permanent. Has anyone tried cleaning rusted chrome really well and then shoot with a clear enamel or laquer? I like to hear testimonials before I rattle-can anything.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I think the most important thing is to keep them clean. If you let all the brake dust and crap from the road sit on there is when they start pitting. We have like 90s civics come in with nearly mint rims and then 2010 BMWs that are just pitted to shit and fubar.

Idk how well the clear would hold up too. Any rocks being kicked up would chip it and start peeling it.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Clear coat sounds like a good idea, it holds up well. I Plasti-Dipped my wheels and used Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamel over top so it wouldn't peel off. It's holding up great. But cleaning them once a week or so will also make a huge difference