1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's going on with my tailgate? Peeling?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Reznor88, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Jun 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    So I recently debagded the entire truck using nothing more than dental floss. The doors look great with only slight discoloration where the badges used to be but the tailgate is a mess. All around where the tailgate badges used to be is a hard edge. At first I thought it was residue or wax build up be it seems to be a layer of something else.

ScreenShot2013-06-29at15139PM_zpsb92dea9_69d65151270251cda1ff2c1ab0946ba4013436f7.jpg

You can see where the V6 badge was that clay bar removes whatever this layer is but then the problem is just spread out more. Tailgate looks like crap now. I can live with the discolored paint under the badges but this other problem is a real eyesore.

Any help or tips to point me in the right direction of fixing this would be much appreciated.

2. Jun 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Clearcoat failure.

Fortunately, it is only the tailgate and not the roof.

You need a repaint. Give the truck the best buffing/polishing/waxing you can to get to the more pure current color and have a paint shop repaint the tailgate to match.

Same thing is happening to the spare tire cover on my wife's '04 Rav4. The "Spectra blue mica", under the clearcoat, looks more like the "satin" metallic blue on the '07 Ninja 636.

3. Jun 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    Well crap. Really not trying to get it repainted anytime soon. Tailgate is already bent so a repaint would also call for a replacement. May have to get creative to cover up the damage, maybe slap a decal over it and call it a day. Also completely defeat the purpose of debadging.

4. Jun 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    +1 on clear coat issues, it's actually delamination of the clear coat, you see lots of dodge rams and other Chrysler vehicles doing it... Nothing can fix it other than reprinting.. The more sun and uv rays beat on it the worse it will get...

5. Jun 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    whahahajr

whahahajr Lone Star Club

Member:
    First Name:
    jimbob
    New Braunfels, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD
    Camburg Uniball UCA, ARB Front Bumper, TAG rear bumper, OME rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaf springs
    Well then wet sand, buff it and live with it.

6. Sep 20, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    DavisBladeWorks

DavisBladeWorks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    North ATL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DSCB TRD Sport 4x4
    This.

Automotive paint is usually about 5-7mil thick, and that's primer+color+clear.

You can color sand the clear just until you see the slightest bit of red, that means you're through the clear. You'd only have to do it in the area that's damaged. Just tape off the whole tailgate except for the damaged area and maybe 3 inches beyond it in all directions.

Sand through the clear until you hit color, then respray. I'm sure a body shop could do it for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top