Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Cutting with the Porter Cable

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #1
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Cutting with the Porter Cable

Going to use my new PC and pads..my friend's car has some paint transfer from a car that bumped her. I got some of it off earlier with my Walmart buffer but it didn't have the balls to do the heavy stuff.

I have 3M scratch remover..should that work or more? I figure start with that stuff..it's an older car so it doesn't have to be perfect, she'd just like it as good as can be for short $$.

What speed should I start at of the 6 and should I crank it up if needed?

I got the $60 pad kit at autogeek so I'll use the light cutting pad..would the heavy one be too aggressive if I have to? Like to not damage the paint that belongs on there.

Thanks much..I did a quickie wax job with it just using what it came with but first time trying to do this kind of cleanup with it and don't want to mess up.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
lyodbraun is on a distinguished road

Army:
lyodbraun's Tacoma Gallery
I would start with the med pad, and use a cutting compound such as meguiars m105 not scratch remover, You should be able to find it at the auto part store... Start slow speed to spread product then go to six.... If its a DA polisher let the product work a do six section passes on the area.....good luck ..
Old 07-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
If it's your first time dealing with this kind of thing start slow with the least gritty polish and slowly work your way up. Post a picture maybe too.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I used the 3M with my POS buffer prior and was able to remove half of it...it was about 2 ft long prior and got more stubborn as I approached the point of impact, which is what leads me to think it was a case of not having the right tools for the job mainly.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

If it was just paint transfer then it should off fairly easily same with light scratches. If you take your fingernail and it catches on the scratch it usually will not come out.

As you work periodically check if your getting the paint warm with your hand. If not up the speed a bit or put on a bit more pressure. The heat is what does a lot of the work when doing paint correction.

Out of curiosity http://3mcollision.com/products/buff...-compound.html Is this the polish your using?
Old 07-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
This stuff here: http://www.autogeek.net/3m-scratch-r...FYmk4Aod43wAmw

Scratches I'm not concerned with, merely removing the transfer..this is what I got about half of it off with before..
Old 07-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #7

If it's really not coming off you could always just use some gun wash. Gets paint transfer off incredibly easily.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #8
It burns when I pee....

ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet..any example you can link?

Products Discussed in this Thread