Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Has anyone tried this paint?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Neff09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Neff09's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tried this paint?

I've been planning for quite some time now, to paint a few things on my taco. I need to touch up some scratches and of course black out rims/grill...etc..etc. Anyway, Just wondering where people found their color matched paint.

I've been looking all over for someone to mix paint color code 209 (black sand pearl). I finally stumbled across a rattle can on Amazon; where I should have looked in the first place!

Has anyone used this for rims, grill, or anything on their truck?

Old 07-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Recker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shedRecker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Recker
Recker's Tacoma Gallery
I've used the dupli color touch up pen/brush for small stuff and have been very happy. Have not used the rattle can for larger areas though. Maybe do a test patch, and post pics!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

Neff09's Tacoma Gallery
Perfect!! Amazon has the primer, base color, and clear coat. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I think duplicolor sucks. Paintscratch.com or automotivetouchup.com have much better paints IMO, and if isnt a perfet match the will tweak the batch and send you new cans. Duplicolor clear sucks.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:55 AM   #6

Neff09's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going to try sand blasting one of these and see how it comes out. Then try the duplicolor.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #8

Neff09's Tacoma Gallery
Sandblast myself..
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
I think duplicolor sucks. Paintscratch.com or automotivetouchup.com have much better paints IMO, and if isnt a perfet match the will tweak the batch and send you new cans. Duplicolor clear sucks.
And what's wrong with their clear? Was planning on doing a color-match grill and using their paint and clear...
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post
And what's wrong with their clear? Was planning on doing a color-match grill and using their paint and clear...
I just think its poor quality, some companies make a 2k clearcoat in a can, its much more durable than duplicolor and its much easier to achieve a real nice finish IMO. I also just dont like how duplicolor sprays, the more expensive color match paints spray more even
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Get Some
wheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
wheresmikeys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neff09 View Post
I'm going to try sand blasting one of these and see how it comes out. Then try the duplicolor.

I think that duplicolor will scratch off too easily when you rub against rocks. I would go for powder coating or bake on.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW, Duplicolor superwhite isn't even close to the color of the Tacoma white. The clear coat makes it even worse because it yellows the paint. I'm with Evan, I wasn't impressed with Duplicolor.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
Get Some
wheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shedwheresmikeys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
wheresmikeys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I have had minimal problems with paint scraping off. And if it does - Easier than powder coat to repair.
You should try going off road
Old 09-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
Mrallank is on a distinguished road
Mrallank's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11TRD View Post
Yup... color matched my emblem. The key is to use the clear coat as well.

Also did this\/

Front of that truck looks nice
Old 01-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #16
bk808 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
bk808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
FWIW, Duplicolor superwhite isn't even close to the color of the Tacoma white. The clear coat makes it even worse because it yellows the paint. I'm with Evan, I wasn't impressed with Duplicolor.
I tried to color match my grill and corner lights with this stuff and was very
careful about all the prep leading up to the finish coat.After 3 attempts at this and being pissed off every time the clear would hit the white and start to turn yellow i was ready to say "f" this. I then found out about Kryion
Fusion in Gloss White from a TW member and it does look like a better match.Just have not had a chance to mount it up and see how durable it is.I
am afraid to spray clear on it and have it look like crap and have to start over again.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk808 View Post
I tried to color match my grill and corner lights with this stuff and was very
careful about all the prep leading up to the finish coat.After 3 attempts at this and being pissed off every time the clear would hit the white and start to turn yellow i was ready to say "f" this. I then found out about Kryion
Fusion in Gloss White from a TW member and it does look like a better match.Just have not had a chance to mount it up and see how durable it is.I
am afraid to spray clear on it and have it look like crap and have to start over again.
This is the best clear i have ever used in a can.
http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1
Polish it after it cures fully and you can get a factory finish.