Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Painting Sliders

Old 07-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Painting Sliders

So I'm looking for, if there is such a thing, the correct way to prep and paint sliders.

I've seen various write-ups with some saying to scotch brite any rust, clean, then prime and paint. While others say that you need to sand it with 320 grit, then clean, prime, and paint.

Is priming really worth it?

I think as of now this is my way of doing things.

1. sand 320 grit
2. clean with acetone
3. paint with 2 coats of primer in 20 minute intervals
4. wait 2 hours
5. paint with 4 coats of bedliner in 10 minute intervals.

Suggestions and comments welcome.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
If you have rust on it then priming with a zinc rich or self etching primer is totally worth it. I'll also give you a change to see what they look like with a coating that is easy to sand if you need to.
Oh, okay.

Which of these 3 would you recommend?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=246429_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=460112_0_0_

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=124716
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use bedliner. My soft topper frame came out like crap. A buddy of mine with a jeep used bedliner on his new bumper, he is redoing it. It comes off way too easy.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
Don't use bedliner. My soft topper frame came out like crap. A buddy of mine with a jeep used bedliner on his new bumper, he is redoing it. It comes off way too easy.
I've used it on my bed rails and fender flares. I've had to do it twice on my fender flares because I didn't do a good enough prep job the first time.

It works well if it's prepped perfectly.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
#1. The etching creates a better bond which means easier repairs when you bounce those sliders off stuff.
I'd agree with the don't use bedliner. I wasn't a fan of the way my wifes came out with it....
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
#1. The etching creates a better bond which means easier repairs when you bounce those sliders off stuff.
I'd agree with the don't use bedliner. I wasn't a fan of the way my wifes came out with it....
Okay, thanks.

It seems to be 50/50 when people ask whether or not to use bedliner. I'm going to use it and see since my flares are already painted in the same material.

Another question. I know there is no set amount of paint that people use, but how many cans of paint and primer would you recommend? I thought maybe 3-4 cans of each?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
Hey Now!
w00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shedw00dy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
I spent twice as much time & money priming and prepping the soft topper frame. I think spray bedliner is better used for small touch ups and/or hard to reach spots.

I wish I would of listened to the members who told me how shoddy that stuff is. Here is the can i used. $22/can all for nothing...
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
I spent twice as much time & money priming and prepping the soft topper frame. I think spray bedliner is better used for small touch ups and/or hard to reach spots.

I wish I would of listened to the members who told me how shoddy that stuff is. Here is the can i used. $22/can all for nothing...
Seems to go 50/50 when people say whether or not bedliner is a good choice. I've used Rustoleum bedliner with good results so far. $10 a can.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Armor is only $12 at AutoZone

But I would never use that on sliders. Hopefully you're going to get rock rash on your sliders, it doesn't matter what you use to finish them, it's gonna get scratched off and destroyed. Might as well use rattle can paint or enamel for ease of touch up.

Brent, here's the walkthrough I used from JLee's thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...r-install.html

I too found some "hippy" paint thinner and used that to wipe it all down.

I used a maroon scotch pad (320 grit equivalent) to lightly scuff it up, self etching primer and Rustoleum flat black high performance enamel for the finish coat
Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Bed Armor is only $12 at AutoZone

But I would never use that on sliders. Hopefully you're going to get rock rash on your sliders, it doesn't matter what you use to finish them, it's gonna get scratched off and destroyed. Might as well use rattle can paint or enamel for ease of touch up.

Brent, here's the walkthrough I used from JLee's thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...r-install.html

I too found some "hippy" paint thinner and used that to wipe it all down.

I used a maroon scotch pad (320 grit equivalent) to lightly scuff it up, self etching primer and Rustoleum flat black high performance enamel for the finish coat
It's pretty simple to touch up with spray on bedliner as well. This is why I'm not worried about it coming off, because it's going to scrape off no matter what I use. So I figure why not use something that I like and will match other parts of the truck.

Thanks for the link!
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
It's pretty simple to touch up with spray on bedliner as well. This is why I'm not worried about it coming off, because it's going to scrape off no matter what I use. So I figure why not use something that I like and will match other parts of the truck.

Thanks for the link!
You're welcome. My personal preference is the smooth flat black look.

Do you think you'll get added traction with the bed liner? Mine get pretty slick when wet.

Post pics up when you're done.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
You're welcome. My personal preference is the smooth flat black look.

Do you think you'll get added traction with the bed liner? Mine get pretty slick when wet.

Post pics up when you're done.
If my flares were painted gloss black, I would paint my sliders the same. This is really my only reason for going with bedliner. I don't want 3-4 different types of black on my truck haha

I will definitely get better traction with the bedliner. I can stand on my bed rails when they're wet and won't slide at all.

I should be starting on them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get them welded on this week.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #14
Hey Now!

w00dy's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah $12 sounds more like it for a can. Either way, that's a great link.