1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Porsche 997 "it's the small things"

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by JeanClaude, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Jul 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    JeanClaude

JeanClaude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    I didn't spend a ton of time documenting the previous damage but did take a few shots that allows you to grasp the extent of how bad it was. This project was going to take a lot of time and I was not going to spend any more time taking typical (how the car gets washed/ect.) shots that everyone's seen. In leu of those shots I focused a bit more on the finer areas.

Every principle involved with a 100k Porsche applies to a $35k Tacoma. If you have any questions on how to work on your own paint correction/restoration feel free to ask.

Probably the best helper I've had through the years. haha
    [​IMG]

Over the years, emblems will generate some nutty types of visual flaws. They are difficult to clean thoroughly, gather hard water deposits that have air-dried and it's practically impossible to correct around properly. This one was removed.
    [​IMG]

Emblem came off without being damaged should the owner want to replace it himself.(Dealerships offer replacement emblems with fresh double sided tape for $90. Considering they come with low profile tape that covers 100% of the emblem it is a better option vs removing all of the old tape and reapplying to the emblems. The bottom line is the cost of this detail was so far beyond $90 that it is a non-issue, they just want the restoration done properly)
    [​IMG]

Tape removed
    [​IMG]

Restored. Unfortunately, the hard water damage was so deep that there was no safe way to completely remove the traces of damage. I would say it was a 90%+ kind of job. The paint was measuring too thin to safely get any more aggressive.
    [​IMG]

This does a fine job showing off how difficult it is to see the traces of the old emblem damage. Once the owner saw the rear end he said he liked it better without the emblems.
    [​IMG]

While I did not do a great job documenting all of the damage this car had, I did take a few great shots to show off the afters. Too much emphasis is placed on hood shots. Bumpers shots are the real deal.(hood shots to come haha) I use halogen lighting for all restoration as LED is terrible for hiding finer damage. These halogens show off as much if not more than you will see in direct sunlight.
    [​IMG]

Another set of shots that show off the attention to the finer details. Restoring the paint on the engine louvers sucks. It's a real pain moving protective tape countless times and cleaning residue with alcohol. I spent about 2+ hours on the engine louvers for just the first two steps of the correction.
    [​IMG]

The payoff was worth it.
    [​IMG]

Direct sun shots are a great tell-tale to how things come out for a resto-job.
    [​IMG]

When he pulled up and saw it, he lost his mind. He loved it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Atlanta Detailer www.detaileddesignsautospa.com

It sucks in the middle of these jobs but knowing what comes from 30+ hours is rewarding(plus the swell pay). Thanks for looking and check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaintCorrectionPro I've not been able to stay on top of adding new videos as I would like but I have a TON of videos I have taken of many different restoration jobs and once I get the time, I will be adding a bunch of great video.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Great work. I definitely have a love hate relationship with black cars. They are allot of work but when maintained there is no better color. I can only dream to do the work you have done on this car some day. Did you get any formal training or did your skills develop over years of detail work and learning everything you could?

3. Jul 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Jean Claude, I stole your 2 bucket method and what a big difference in washing! Such a simple trick.

4. Jul 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    That's a sweet looking car. Good job!

5. Jul 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    JeanClaude

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    It means a lot to hear that I can help you out. Thanks for the kind words.

6. Jul 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    Very nice work what products did you use on this vehicle ?? I'm waiting on some Wolfgang total swirl remover to come in to give a try, been using chemical guys V line with good results, and M105 for the tougher defects...

7. Jul 28, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    JeanClaude

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    d300, sip, 101, 205 and powerlock in no particular order.

8. Jul 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    Does it ever frustrate you that most people who can afford these types of rides haven't a clue how to look after the paint?
    On second thought, I bet it doesn't! Otherwise you wouldn't be in business! :rolleyes:

Nothing like spending 9 months customizing something, laying the most ultimate black paintjob down you ever have in your whole career, cut polishing it for that mirror finish... and seeing the owner at a car show a month later, "cleaning" his award winning ride with an old microfiber towel he just dropped on the ground...:smack:

9. Jul 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    JeanClaude

Member:
    East Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Prerunner
    Pretend that you're starting your knowledge base of real car care from scratch(that's where most start). Now go out there and find the best ways to do things. It's like searching for a specific needle in a stack of thousands of needles. There is a ton of misinformation and it's difficult for people to know what's right. Most are surprised at what I tell them to do or what not to do. Education is a big part of my service. They know how to take care of it when I am done.

Education should be every restoration guys list of to-do's. People just don't know bro.

10. Jul 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    WHPLSH3

WHPLSH3 Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Spruce Mica 6spd 4x4
    Build thread coming soon!
    *Sigh* You're absolutely right. "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"

Products Discussed in

To Top