Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

scratch on dash

Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
blastoff is on a distinguished road
blastoff's Tacoma Gallery
scratch on dash

Brand new truck, not even two weeks old I was helping somebody move of course. My fault though... one of those file folder cardboard boxes with the metal runner on top. I didn't notice the metal was sticking out.

Would a pro fix this better than me? I'm looking at "3M 08579 Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit" off Amazon. I've always had good luck with 3M stuff.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this go away without replacing the whole piece.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks! It looks deep enough that you might need a professional touch...
If someone ever suckers me into using my truck to help them move- the interior is off limits! Done too much damage to headliners & door panels over the years
Old 08-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Try using a blow dryer to heat the plastic up. It won't completly fix the scratch but it will turn it back the original colour.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
blastoff is on a distinguished road
blastoff's Tacoma Gallery
i dont think its plastic... its more like vinyl. Its a TRD trim, not sure if they're trimmed different than the base models.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastoff View Post
i dont think its plastic... its more like vinyl. Its a TRD trim, not sure if they're trimmed different than the base models.
Cheeseit and I are both in the body industry. Believe us, it is plastic. The blow drier is the best bet
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to see that scratch. it always happens when youre helping someone or done at someones elses hand. off topic: what is that cupholder area in front of the shifter? i dont have that on my truck. is that an automatic thing?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #7
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
The cup holders in front is an automatic thing and you should NEVER help anyone move with your truck that is new... But since it is done send them the bill for the repair