Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

how to stop paint from cracking/peeling

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation how to stop paint from cracking/peeling

So the dealer drilled two holes in my front bumper for a license plate. I bought some plugs from the auto store to put in the holes.

Around one of the holes I noticed 2 small cracks in the paint maybe only 1-2mm long. How can I keep the paint from cracking/peeling? I was thinking maybe some super glue?

Also where I bought the car they absolutely would not let me leave without a front licenese plate.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
If it's the law in your state, they may very well be required to do it.
Most here are drilled and a frame mounted the day they roll off of the carrier.

Super glue is the only thing that I can think of to prevent further peeling since the paint is already violated.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
If it's the law in your state, they may very well be required to do it.
Most here are drilled and a frame mounted the day they roll off of the carrier.

Super glue is the only thing that I can think of to prevent further peeling since the paint is already violated.
Yeah the state I bought it in was required to (not my state).

Yeah I think im going to pop off the little plugs I put on and dab some super glue on the paint surrounding. I know that if the paint cracks outside of the plugs itll just peel right off when driving.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Other than the hole being bigger, couldn't you tape over it, drill the hole larger, then apply a clear coat over them?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It'll still tear the paint.
Paint works great on these soft plastic bumpers... until it is violated.
As soon as it's compromised, it's a peel-fest.
My '03 Tundra's bumper looked like shit within a year. Ended up painting the lower valance area with bed liner.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
It'll still tear the paint.
Paint works great on these soft plastic bumpers... until it is violated.
As soon as it's compromised, it's a peel-fest.
My '03 Tundra's bumper looked like shit within a year. Ended up painting the lower valance area with bed liner.
This is why I'm sometimes glad mine isn't painted, just the stock black plastic.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #7

Ya... I'm seriously considering white derp.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #8

Why didnt you guys use super glue to keep from tearing and apply buttons?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
Mine is bare plastic, no paint. They did the same drill treatment to my bumper to but I figured I'd be best to just leave it alone since I have no paint to peal.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterkx2fiddy View Post
I've always run a front plate.

The Tundra got screwed up because of a couple of rock chips.

You can see a couple near the plate frame.

Ended up painting the entire inset area surrounding the fog lights and below the lower mesh with bedliner.
Attached Thumbnails
how to stop paint from cracking/peeling-dsc00021.jpg  
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

damn. Okay I am going to try to use some super glue and pray that it works.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #12

Couldn't get the buttons off. So I didn't use super glue. I guess I will just hope no wind catches them.