Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

I finally understand why!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
tensecondchevelle's Tacoma Gallery
I finally understand why!!!

After reading here and there about why you shouldn't wash your vehicle at the "do it yourself car washes" I finally stopped and have been strictly washing at home for the past 6 months.

I wax regularly to help protect from the AZ sun, and recently clay barred (is that the right word? Lol) the truck and it's so smooth!!!

I noticed bird poo on my truck today and on my way home I decided to hit up a car wash to clean the truck real quick. I did all the normal stuff I always did high pressure rinse, tire degreaser, tricolor foam, foam brush, rinse, spray on wax then another rinse... Prior to taking my truck to the car wash, only washing at home, the water would ALWAYS bead up on the hood/roof as expected. As I rinsed off my truck tonight no more beads of water... I don't know if it was the car wash soap or the wax I sprayed on there but it must have stripped off all my wax on there!!! Wow!

Needless to say I will no longer be going to those places. I now understand how deadly these friendly looking places really are... Haha
Old 08-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
I wash all the time at the car wash places with no problems. I am pretty OCD so I like to clean under the truck etc, so the car wash place works well with the gun and stuff. Some rules I follow:

1)Always spray the scrub brush with high power pressure washer before using. It can have dirt and rocks in them.
2)I just use soap, brush and rinse, never anything else.
3) I always keep a good distance with the gun from the paint.
I still wax regularly at home but yea I've heard the tire cleaner and stuff can harmful to some finishes.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
tensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud oftensecondchevelle has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4RUNNER View Post
I wash all the time at the car wash places with no problems. I am pretty OCD so I like to clean under the truck etc, so the car wash place works well with the gun and stuff. Some rules I follow:

1)Always spray the scrub brush with high power pressure washer before using. It can have dirt and rocks in them.
2)I just use soap, brush and rinse, never anything else.
3) I always keep a good distance with the gun from the paint.
I still wax regularly at home but yea I've heard the tire cleaner and stuff can harmful to some finishes.
I'm pretty sure I let all the tire cleaner shoot out of the gun prior to moving onto the painted surfaces...

Does it seem possible that the spray on wax did this?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
NW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shedNW4RUNNER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NW4RUNNER's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe. It doesn't make much sense to spray wax on to me. But there is other crap in the system too so who knows what your really getting ie- ultra shine, bug remover, spot free rinse, tire vs wheel. I keep it simple with soap and rinse. But sometimes even the soap is hi liter green and I get sketched out.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Write your love, Then your anger.
ToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyComa92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
ToyComa92's Tacoma Gallery
I rinse, Wash, brush, Rinse, Spot free and then dry, Then wax and polish.

And for people who go mudding, CLEAN YOUR BAY AFTER USING IT! Hate rolling into a bay with chunks of mud and grass everywhere.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
SteveT is on a distinguished road

Army: Retired Medic
Name: Steve
SteveT's Tacoma Gallery
soap, bucket, pressure washer at the house. rinse and done
Old 08-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
a lot of the soaps that car wash places use is fairly strong, and will almost always strip whatever wax is on the vehicle. there are special car soaps that are used to only "clean" the surface of the wax, and not strip it off. That being said, this truck has never seen a carwash (except when im just using the gun) i'll never touch it w/ a car wash brush, ever
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Skeet1420 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Skeet1420's Tacoma Gallery
I own a car wash and I only use the best soaps and wax. I make sure the ph is good and never run the cheap stuff. If you do get a chance try rain shield as a wax if they have it. It has a drying agent in also and really does work.
I pay over 300.00 for 15 gallons so it better work.
Like the man said above always rinse the brush as most are to lazy to hang it up. And don't use a nylon brush. Use a hogs hair brush.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet1420 View Post
I own a car wash and I only use the best soaps and wax. I make sure the ph is good and never run the cheap stuff. If you do get a chance try rain shield as a wax if they have it. It has a drying agent in also and really does work.
I pay over 300.00 for 15 gallons so it better work.
Like the man said above always rinse the brush as most are to lazy to hang it up. And don't use a nylon brush. Use a hogs hair brush.

Thanks for the heads up!
Is there any way of really knowing if the local car wash's use good products?

So I'm guess buying your own brush and bringing it would be a good idea ?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't used a actual car wash for many years, but when I did I never used any of the soaps/coatings/agents since I did not know what, or if, they were.

I would use the non-soap wash with the spray gun, then clean the brush, then just use the brush (without the soap/etc. spewing from it, then the non-soap wash again. Then, depending on the weather, chamoise it, or get lazy and drive-dry it. Waxing was always done at home, following an at-home wash, or the above car wash method.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
At least we are cleaning the vehicle; I wish I could find the post I ran across some time ago where, in response to " How do you clean your truck", the response was - ( and this is a verbatim quote) I never clean it, it looks badass

Speaks to the maturity level one finds here and there on the Internet
Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Skeet1420 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
Skeet1420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensecondchevelle View Post
Thanks for the heads up!
Is there any way of really knowing if the local car wash's use good products?

So I'm guess buying your own brush and bringing it would be a good idea ?

Should be proud enough to put signs up. And you can tell if the brushes are nylon or hogs hair. Hogs hair is real soft
Old 08-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
jamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nicejamesinkeys is just really nice
Name: james
jamesinkeys's Tacoma Gallery
Jay Lenos advice, wash car rarely...water=rust. Wax, use a big duster brush often, with detailer for spots. I.Jays H.O.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinkeys View Post
Jay Lenos advice, wash car rarely...water=rust. Wax, use a big duster brush often, with detailer for spots. I.Jays H.O.
That's bad advice lol. Washing your truck isn't going to hurt anything unless you salt your water or something obscenely stupid like that. Following that logic my truck should just be a pile of rust now considering it sits in rain for 11/12 months of the year. If your truck actually gets used you won't be able to clean it with a duster anyways

I would avoid using the brushes at any car wash place because who knows how badly abused they have been. Some guy could have just cleaned his mudding rig up with it and now your scratching the hell out of your paint with the brush