Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Mud stained frame

Old 08-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Ellocotaco is on a distinguished road
Ellocotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mud stained frame

I'm buying a 2006 tacoma this sunday & the guy used ut as his hunting truck. The body & interior are really clean, but the frame is dirty looking. Like you can tell it's been in some mud. Any ideas or experiences to get it back to black. Almost factory. Besides the ol wire brush & black spray paint.
Thanks
Old 08-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Pressure wash entire underbody, on a rack if possible, to see what you have to work with.

There are several products (chemical guys, griots garage ) that market underbody back to black sprays. But there needs to be something to work with. Otherwise you are in for a restoration project.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
I'm sure the frame is in really good shape & . I just like a clean black frame. I'll attach a picture where you can kind of see the dirty frame
Attached Thumbnails
Mud stained frame-uploadfromtaptalk1377908180038.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
lasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant futurelasllc has a brilliant future
Navy: Lead PO Submarine Reactor Control Dvision
lasllc's Tacoma Gallery
Well, surface rust is surface rust; it will never go away without proper prep. If you just want it clean looking, pressure wash, wire brush as much as possible, rustoleum flat black. It will always have that sort of brownish black color after a couple of days but it will be clean and it will retard the rust to a certain extent, but you will need to keep after it.

Don't forget that the frame is a c- section with the open portion to the inside. Mud will pack up,in there and it is hard to see or get to from the outside of the vehicle, ie. pressure washing form the wheel wells, you need to be spraying from the center line toward the outside, that's why having it on a rack is best, but rarely possible.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Okay I appreciate it
Old 09-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
I like to use the satin black grill paint its not real shiny and doesn't start turning chalky looking after a couple months like flat paints. Also mud doesn't really stain it to much either.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
If your going to go thru the trouble of wire brushing POR 15 it much better than rustoleum