Notices

Flat paint question

Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
VeeSix is on a distinguished road

Army: 3rd US Infantry, 1983 - 87
Name: Ryan
VeeSix's Tacoma Gallery
Flat paint question

This seems to be the place to ask a paint question. I need to get my 1st Gen repainted in a year or so, and am leaning toward getting a flat desert tan color, with brown or OD green LineX for the bed, bumpers, racks, etc.

I want a really tough, durable paint that I can also get spray cans of for touch up. There seem to be several websites that talk about military paint, but I don't know what's legit and what's not. Does a regular high quality paint and body shop have access to a really tough military type paint that can also be gotten in spray cans? Is there any need to try to actually use a true military paint, or is a regular flat automotive paint tough enough? I drive through the woods a lot and the trees and limbs just claw the crap out of the paint.

Any advice? Thanks.

Also - will one LineX surface "stick" to another LineX surface over time? If I have LineX on top of the bed rails, and also on a bed rack, with they sort of glue themselves together when time comes to remove the bed rack, or will they come apart pretty easily as though they'd been painted?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
ChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shedChiefManyWrenches is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
ChiefManyWrenches's Tacoma Gallery
Well, most paint shops can order/use pretty much any kind of paint that you want for your ride. If you want military colors, it can happen. The good thing about flat anything is that touch up is easy. Military paint is no tougher than any other paint, maybe sprayed on thicker but not any stronger out of the can. With a flat color, trees and bushes will still leave pinstripes but it is easily fixable. I say you just linex the whole truck and wah lah, no more scratches.