1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Flat paint question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by VeeSix, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Sep 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    VeeSix

VeeSix [OP] Yotahead, Deadhead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tennessee, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    2018 Tacoma - gone 2003 Tacoma - gone 1983 FJ60 - gone 1988 BJ73 - gone 1992 FJ80 - eternal
    This seems to be the place to ask a paint question. I need to get my 1st Gen repainted in a year or so, and am leaning toward getting a flat desert tan color, with brown or OD green LineX for the bed, bumpers, racks, etc.

I want a really tough, durable paint that I can also get spray cans of for touch up. There seem to be several websites that talk about military paint, but I don't know what's legit and what's not. Does a regular high quality paint and body shop have access to a really tough military type paint that can also be gotten in spray cans? Is there any need to try to actually use a true military paint, or is a regular flat automotive paint tough enough? I drive through the woods a lot and the trees and limbs just claw the crap out of the paint.

Any advice? Thanks.

Also - will one LineX surface "stick" to another LineX surface over time? If I have LineX on top of the bed rails, and also on a bed rack, with they sort of glue themselves together when time comes to remove the bed rack, or will they come apart pretty easily as though they'd been painted?

2. Sep 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Well, most paint shops can order/use pretty much any kind of paint that you want for your ride. If you want military colors, it can happen. The good thing about flat anything is that touch up is easy. Military paint is no tougher than any other paint, maybe sprayed on thicker but not any stronger out of the can. With a flat color, trees and bushes will still leave pinstripes but it is easily fixable. I say you just linex the whole truck and wah lah, no more scratches.

Products Discussed in

To Top