LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Truck is looking a bit tired...any advice?

Old 10-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
Master of None
Fifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
Fifthwind's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Turtle wax ice wash and polish on the whole exterior. Mostly because it makes washing off the mud a whole lot easier. The black plastic on the bumpers and wiper area turn black again and stay that way for months. I do not park my truck indoors and I live in PA so it sees salt, acid rain, pollution, pollen, road tar, limestone dust, etc., but the sun beats up the plastic the most. I use a $50 B&D orbital with a cotton bonnet and use the polish like its going out of style every six months. Everybody I talk with doesn't believe its been outside for one year let alone five.
For your headlights, I have a 99 Legacy, and after trial and error, go with the 3M kit for best results and get a UV protectant spray or you'll be re-doing it every six months.
Your wheels really date your vehicle. I suggest derping them black unless you want to go straight to paint.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #22
Trying to save the manuals
Smudgey is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
Smudgey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwind View Post
I use the Turtle wax ice wash and polish on the whole exterior. Mostly because it makes washing off the mud a whole lot easier. The black plastic on the bumpers and wiper area turn black again and stay that way for months. I do not park my truck indoors and I live in PA so it sees salt, acid rain, pollution, pollen, road tar, limestone dust, etc., but the sun beats up the plastic the most. I use a $50 B&D orbital with a cotton bonnet and use the polish like its going out of style every six months. Everybody I talk with doesn't believe its been outside for one year let alone five.
For your headlights, I have a 99 Legacy, and after trial and error, go with the 3M kit for best results and get a UV protectant spray or you'll be re-doing it every six months.
Your wheels really date your vehicle. I suggest derping them black unless you want to go straight to paint.
I am also a fan of turtle wax.
I bought the truck in June and polished it right around my birthday at the beginning of July, this was the result:

The aftermarket headlights had only been in a few days, the week after, this happened...

I am going to be home from college next weekend and plan on giving my truck a good wash, wax and polish. I'm also going to re-derp the grille, and try the sandpaper on the headlights and see if they improve at all. If they still look yellowed, I'm going to buy some 3m window weld and attack the aftermarket headlights and see if I can get them seaworthy.

Again, thanks for all the helpful suggestions folks. I will keep them all in mind.

EDIT: As for the wheels, I am probably going to replace them with a 15" alloy wheel in a year or two. When I found out that the stock steelies weigh 25 lbs a piece, I was shocked. I will be very happy to remove ~40 lbs of unsprung weight.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
Mrallank is on a distinguished road
Mrallank's Tacoma Gallery
Perk up Smudgey. Have a can do attitude. These were some really good suggestions. Take on one thing at a time. Relax, get organized and tackle it
Old 11-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Buy aftermarket depo headlights and silicone the seals to make sure no moisture gets inside for the cheaper route, if you want your headlights properly restored you are going to have to have a proper shop do it and have them put a polyurethane clear on it.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Follow what the others have said about resurfacing your headlights until they're new. Then, wax them like you would the body of the vehicle. After quarter million miles, my headlights are clear as crystal, and I park it outside constantly; I've only waxed mine.

My cheap quick fix for exterior plastic bits are to just use armor all wipes. Quick, cheap, and I know most people hate armor all with a passion, but it has kept my plastic looking new and protected. Of course, the other products others have named are excellent.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #26
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
When I bought my 2008, the only thing that looked "tired" was the headlights. So, I replaced them with stock ones. (There were a variety of hairline cracks in addition to the yellowing.) It was like night and day. It's definitely not the low budget way to do it. But oddly enough, it's the one part of Toyota and Lexus vehicles that seems to age poorly. Replacing them makes the vehicle look new - even when parked next to a newer model year Tacoma or Lexus.