1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Truck is looking a bit tired...any advice?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Smudgey, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Oct 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    Smudgey

Smudgey [OP] Trying to save the manuals

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Pensacola, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma RC Manual
    Window Tint, Plastidipped grille, TonnoPro folding metal tonneau cover, marble shift knob, black frame headlights, fog lights with custom switch, OE cruise control
    I am also a fan of turtle wax.
    I bought the truck in June and polished it right around my birthday at the beginning of July, this was the result:
    IMG_0068_zpsd495534a_5dad964e8d2639d74de1fae8bcb7ab9d65fa6068.jpg
    The aftermarket headlights had only been in a few days, the week after, this happened...
    IMG_0084JPG2_zpsd552bbae_ce39a3b82ef9c4a6940d1582c9753fb68f7a6c21.jpg

I am going to be home from college next weekend and plan on giving my truck a good wash, wax and polish. I'm also going to re-derp the grille, and try the sandpaper on the headlights and see if they improve at all. If they still look yellowed, I'm going to buy some 3m window weld and attack the aftermarket headlights and see if I can get them seaworthy.

Again, thanks for all the helpful suggestions folks. I will keep them all in mind.

EDIT: As for the wheels, I am probably going to replace them with a 15" alloy wheel in a year or two. When I found out that the stock steelies weigh 25 lbs a piece, I was shocked. I will be very happy to remove ~40 lbs of unsprung weight.

2. Nov 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    Mrallank

Mrallank Active Member

Member:
    Perk up Smudgey. Have a can do attitude. These were some really good suggestions. Take on one thing at a time. Relax, get organized and tackle it

3. Nov 17, 2013 at 7:44 PM
    Kavik

Kavik Kavik

Member:
    Texas, DFW
    Vehicle:
    Not your everday 5 lug
    Lowered: 3 inch drop blocks (Beefed Taco),Satoshi Grill, Morimoto bi-xenon H1 Retrofitted headlights, Flowmaster exhaust, Blue LED interior and exterior, blue LED dome light, Anzo black LED taillights, Hifonics Brutus 1100w Mono Block, Bazooka 300w Amp, LED license plate lights. Lifited: Fat Bob's rear shocks, Fat Bob's 3" spacer and rear AAL, Nitto Terragrapplers, weldertaco wrap around rear tube bumper, TrailWorx Fab tube front bumper
    Buy aftermarket depo headlights and silicone the seals to make sure no moisture gets inside for the cheaper route, if you want your headlights properly restored you are going to have to have a proper shop do it and have them put a polyurethane clear on it.

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM
    winL

winL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Leer 100R Cap, OEM Hood Protector, Bilstein 5100's @0, Wheeler's 3leaf AAL no TSB, Replaced oem OL, OME 885, Pioneer AVIC-D2
    Follow what the others have said about resurfacing your headlights until they're new. Then, wax them like you would the body of the vehicle. After quarter million miles, my headlights are clear as crystal, and I park it outside constantly; I've only waxed mine.

My cheap quick fix for exterior plastic bits are to just use armor all wipes. Quick, cheap, and I know most people hate armor all with a passion, but it has kept my plastic looking new and protected. Of course, the other products others have named are excellent.

5. Nov 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM
    BDBSoCal

BDBSoCal The Safety Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2008 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just starting...
    When I bought my 2008, the only thing that looked "tired" was the headlights. So, I replaced them with stock ones. (There were a variety of hairline cracks in addition to the yellowing.) It was like night and day. It's definitely not the low budget way to do it. But oddly enough, it's the one part of Toyota and Lexus vehicles that seems to age poorly. Replacing them makes the vehicle look new - even when parked next to a newer model year Tacoma or Lexus.

Products Discussed in

To Top