1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I borked my badges.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by eazyrider711, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    eazyrider711

eazyrider711 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Long story short, I ended up with a "ripple/wrinkle/crackle" finish on my clear coat and I'm not sure why. Here's the long story.

I de-badged and painted my emblems. Waited two days, and did the clear coat. Everything looked pretty good except for a gnat that got painted in and some small grass/dust that also blew onto it. I put on the 3M double-sided automotive tape and then proceeded to trim it away from the holes. I nicked up the paint doing this in a few areas. A couple of places, I scratched with the blade, and a couple with the handle. I figured, that was pretty easy the first time and now I've got the tape trimmed... what the hell, lets just redo the paint. I got some fine grain sandpaper, 320 I think, and scuffed up the surface good. I wasn't trying to take everything off, just the clear-coat and make sure the surface was rough to take the next coat of paint.

Washed/dried to get all the sanding dust off. Repaint, and it looks great. Even better than the first time. At this point I'm very excited. I wait 4 days before I can clear coat due to being busy and not getting home before dark all week. I do one coat (even spray, across and back, just like before) and I notice an immediate wrinkling/crackling effect on the clear coat. WTF?!?!? :mad: I was sad.

The only two difference I know were that I had to wait longer for the clear coat than I did the first time, and it was a somewhat humid day the second time. It was going to rain and I had about 30 mins of sunlight so I wanted to get it sprayed and back inside to cure up. I suspect the humidity, but really, it wasn't THAT humid.

Any ideas or thoughts? At this point I'm just taking the tape off the truck and going with no badges for a while. I was going for red badges on the black truck. Looks good with the red springs.

2. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Any thoughts? Do I need to sand all the way down to the chrome? I'm thinking I'll give it another go, but maybe I just need to wait until later when its not as humid.

3. Nov 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    What brand/kind was the paint?

What was the humidity level when painting?

What do the directions on the can say?

4. Nov 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I've had that happen with a number of rattle can products.
    Clear has always been a big problem... if I don't recoat within an hour or two, any future coat will crackle.
    I've had the same thing happen to color coats after sanding.

5. Nov 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Sorry, I've been following the instructions over on the De-Badge thread.

I'm using Rust-Oleum specialty plastic paint (red) and crystal clear coat enamel for the top coat. The paint looked really great, I did about 3 coats. It wasn't until the clear coat that it wrinkled up on me. I have no idea what the humidity was that day, but it was getting ready to rain.

Should I sand down and try again or would I need fresh badges for some reason? I'm thinking to take it down to the chrome and start fresh again.

6. Nov 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If you can get them all the way down to the chrome, you should be good to go.

Be aware that the wrinkling was due to a chemical compatibility issue, and when you try to sand it off, it will likely ball up on the sandpaper because the paint did not cure properly... it's going to be a major pain to strip. Try soaking in paint thinner and see if that will do the job, but it will be easier to start over with a new set of badges.
    Rust-Oleum by itself has a very nice finish... I would forgo the clear on something as small and detailed as the badges. My Satoshi center surround is Rust-Oleum white without a clear.

Humidity will generally cause fogging/hazing... an almost white appearance in the clear coat, but the wrinkling is from the solvents in the fresh coat reacting with the previous coat(s).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  7. Nov 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    eazyrider711

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Northern, CO
    Vehicle:
    Black DCSB T|X Baja
    Thanks Rich, I think I'll definitely try again, but without the clear coat. I was very pleased with how it looked with just the paint. I only did the clear coat because I thought I needed it as a protection coat over the paint.

Products Discussed in

To Top