1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

swirl marks and scratches on black taco

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Chrisg, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    Chrisg

Chrisg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    hey all: I have a 2012 DC sport 4x. It's black, it's my first black vehicle. It has had swirl marks since I bought it Nov 2012. Also, scratches under the door handles. I MADE some nice scratches a couple of weeks ago hauling some concrete. My questions are these:

(1) Can I use the Meguiar's SWIRL X without hesitation
    (2) The DEEP scratch, will compound do anything?? You can feel with finger nail. Or how can I fix?

(3) Has anyone used the "Powerball" on the factory plated sport wheels??

Thanks,

chris

2. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    If your that picky about scratches, trade in your truck for a white one or realize that it is nearly impossible to keep a black truck clean. Also pretty pointless to even try to me.

3. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    nah, not picky. I just want to keep it looking good. :D

4. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    That is the right attitude!!! Black and dark red just blow away other colors when properly maintained.

5. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    Colt562

Colt562 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Stage 3 Lift Kit...Dakars
    black cars a pain to take care of, But when they are clean they look damn nice. My GF has a black mazda, I detailed that the other day with the Meguires Paint restoration kit.

Worked pretty good but took almost 6-7 hours to complete. Compound isnt going to take out the big scratches that you can feel. But it should take out the little swirls.

Keep in mind though her car had very bad oxidation.

6. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:05 PM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    Op also check out surfcitygarage.com for products to take care of black cars. They recently came out with a new product soley for black cars.

I use their products on my truck. Work outrageously well.

7. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    If you want it keep it looking good, then need to invest in a porter cable or a flex polisher. Check out Autogeek for info. I highly recommend Adam's Polishes as well.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then you cannot fix it with a polish.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  8. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Rubbing compound will work if used very lightly and carefully and immediately followed by a polishing compound and then waxed... That being said I don't like to use rubbing compound unless i really really need it. Most of the time a polishing compound followed by a quality wax gets rid of light scratches/swirl marks.

9. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    ^^ What Surf City product is this?

I think at this point spend the money to have it polished and sealed by a pro.

Then don't fuck it all up by using your old clothing or crap towels to "wash" it again. Buy micro fiber cloths (fuck it, buy 2 colors) for drying and a quality soap like Maguiars (shameless plug)

I don't know, I've been using a discount store carwash brush and applying the soap to the wet brush instead of the vehicle and then waxing the living shit out of it as much as possible (like everyday, if I could)

Good luck.

10. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    Colt562

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13' TRD Sport 4x4
    http://surfcitygarage.com

11. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    SLE:I have the sport wheels that have the caps that cover the wheel. Not the standard sport rims.

12. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    thanks for the replies. I do have a random orbital buffer/ polisher. I have only applied wax by hand, so it's still new. I have meguiar's gold glass liquid wax I've been using. I see they have a wax for black cars, does it make a difference?? Or is it just a marketing gimmick???

chris

13. Nov 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    Black is not a color....it is a full time job. I have a newer Mustang. I had the same complaints. What I found was, even using mico-fiber mits, rinsing in a second bucket before dipping back into the Meguiars expensive car wash bucket so I did not introduce removed dirt back into the wash bucket and on the car. A detail guy told me to go by a coin wash and drop a few quarters and do the pressure wash (without the brush) and rinse then head home and wash. Now, to your original question.... have a detail shop use their special DA equipment to get it back to "new" paint condition, and then maintain it yourself afterwards. Expect about every 18 months to have a pro shop bring your black back to perfect....now, if you have good eyes, plenty of time, and want to lay out money for equipment and product....call Meguires, get them to send you their "Pro Products" catalogs and their "Brilliant Solutions" Catalog. My detail guy used Meguires M09 swirl remover 2.0, followed tih M82 swirl free polish, then M205 ultra finishing polish. I keep the finish looking good with M66 quick detailer to just get the pollen off, and if I want to do a quick wipe down after it is washed and dried I use their D156 synthetic x-press spray wax (it dries clear on black plastic).

Good luck!

14. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    thx, cruiser: yep, I use one of those microfiber mitts. I should probably try the two bucket method. Im guessing this is done by dunking in a clean bucket and then back in the soap bucket. I usually refill soap bucket 2 times, and always rinse bucket between refills. Then when finished washing, spray down wash mitt and hang dry.

15. Nov 19, 2013 at 4:52 AM
    JCruiser

JCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Prerunner SR-5 A/T 6Cyl
    Pioneer AVH P 2400BT, powder coated wheels, fog light mod, tail gate anti-theft, Classio leather seat covers, light bar with KC off-road lights, rocker panel protection strips, bed compartment door locks, addl. bed "D" rings, window tint & floor mats.
    I actually put my wash mits in the washing machine with towels and such to shake as much fine grit as I can. I am waiting for a buddy to buy a new washer so I can get his used one to put out in my shop just to wash shop rags, car wash mits, and those clothes that I wear when doing yard work or shop work...you know the kind. I will just dump the wash water out into the yard.

16. Nov 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    Chrisg

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay area, ca
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off road sport
    Stock
    Thanks cruiser, I always just spray off the wash mitt. I also use a Absorber, to dry it with., I think I've been using it wrong though. I always hang dry it after use. This is how I've always used a chamois. And instructions I have read show to store it in plastic can.. It's long gone. So, long story short, I probably made a lot of those swirls/ scratches.

17. Nov 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    FWIW

Autogeek has all buffers on sale for another 6 hours. I ordered a Rupes buffer yesterday at 23% off list price. I have been wanting this buffer for about a year now.

18. Nov 27, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces

Congratulations!! Did you get the 21 or 15?

19. Nov 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Picked up the 15 with a full set of pads. I still think my Lake Country CCS pads will work but wanted to give the Rupes pads a try. I have a detail on a white Range Rover next weekend.

This brings my buffer count up to 4. :anonymous:

20. Nov 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    I use to detail cars proffesionaly I recommend 3m hand glaze followed by a good paste wax use to use it on my show car and gives you a mirror finish.

Products Discussed in

To Top