Notices

swirl marks and scratches on black taco

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Chrisg has a spectacular aura aboutChrisg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
swirl marks and scratches on black taco

hey all: I have a 2012 DC sport 4x. It's black, it's my first black vehicle. It has had swirl marks since I bought it Nov 2012. Also, scratches under the door handles. I MADE some nice scratches a couple of weeks ago hauling some concrete. My questions are these:

(1) Can I use the Meguiar's SWIRL X without hesitation
(2) The DEEP scratch, will compound do anything?? You can feel with finger nail. Or how can I fix?

(3) Has anyone used the "Powerball" on the factory plated sport wheels??

Thanks,

chris
Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If your that picky about scratches, trade in your truck for a white one or realize that it is nearly impossible to keep a black truck clean. Also pretty pointless to even try to me.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
nah, not picky. I just want to keep it looking good.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisg View Post
hey all: I have a 2012 DC sport 4x. It's black, it's my first black vehicle. It has had swirl marks since I bought it Nov 2012. Also, scratches under the door handles. I MADE some nice scratches a couple of weeks ago hauling some concrete. My questions are these:

(2) The DEEP scratch, will compound do anything?? I would stay away from compound. It is very abrasive and usually not needed. You can feel with finger nail. Or how can I fix? You can use Scratch X and a foam pad but that will work you to death. Scratch X is designed to be used by hand and not a machine. The best way to fix deeper paint imperfections is by using a quality buffer, pads and polishes. These are not inexpensive so most of the guys on this site shy away from them.

(3) Has anyone used the "Powerball" on the factory plated sport wheels?? Yes and it does a decent job. Remember that our wheels have a clear coat paint on them. Once cleaned I like to use a sealer like Megs 21. To maintain an easy to clean surface on the wheel.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-21-...alant-2-0.html

Thanks,

chris
Quote:
nah, not picky. I just want to keep it looking good.
That is the right attitude!!! Black and dark red just blow away other colors when properly maintained.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
black cars a pain to take care of, But when they are clean they look damn nice. My GF has a black mazda, I detailed that the other day with the Meguires Paint restoration kit.

Worked pretty good but took almost 6-7 hours to complete. Compound isnt going to take out the big scratches that you can feel. But it should take out the little swirls.

Keep in mind though her car had very bad oxidation.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Op also check out surfcitygarage.com for products to take care of black cars. They recently came out with a new product soley for black cars.

I use their products on my truck. Work outrageously well.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
If you want it keep it looking good, then need to invest in a porter cable or a flex polisher. Check out Autogeek for info. I highly recommend Adam's Polishes as well.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail then you cannot fix it with a polish.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ship Serviceman 3rd Class
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
Rubbing compound will work if used very lightly and carefully and immediately followed by a polishing compound and then waxed... That being said I don't like to use rubbing compound unless i really really need it. Most of the time a polishing compound followed by a quality wax gets rid of light scratches/swirl marks.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
^^ What Surf City product is this?

I think at this point spend the money to have it polished and sealed by a pro.

Then don't fuck it all up by using your old clothing or crap towels to "wash" it again. Buy micro fiber cloths (fuck it, buy 2 colors) for drying and a quality soap like Maguiars (shameless plug)

I don't know, I've been using a discount store carwash brush and applying the soap to the wet brush instead of the vehicle and then waxing the living shit out of it as much as possible (like everyday, if I could)

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #10
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
^^ What Surf City product is this?

I think at this point spend the money to have it polished and sealed by a pro.

Then don't fuck it all up by using your old clothing or crap towels to "wash" it again. Buy micro fiber cloths (fuck it, buy 2 colors) for drying and a quality soap like Maguiars (shameless plug)

I don't know, I've been using a discount store carwash brush and applying the soap to the wet brush instead of the vehicle and then waxing the living shit out of it as much as possible (like everyday, if I could)

Good luck.
http://surfcitygarage.com
Old 11-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
SLE:I have the sport wheels that have the caps that cover the wheel. Not the standard sport rims.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the replies. I do have a random orbital buffer/ polisher. I have only applied wax by hand, so it's still new. I have meguiar's gold glass liquid wax I've been using. I see they have a wax for black cars, does it make a difference?? Or is it just a marketing gimmick???

chris
Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

(2) The DEEP scratch, will compound do anything?? You can feel with finger nail. Or how can I fix?

Thanks,

chris
Black is not a color....it is a full time job. I have a newer Mustang. I had the same complaints. What I found was, even using mico-fiber mits, rinsing in a second bucket before dipping back into the Meguiars expensive car wash bucket so I did not introduce removed dirt back into the wash bucket and on the car. A detail guy told me to go by a coin wash and drop a few quarters and do the pressure wash (without the brush) and rinse then head home and wash. Now, to your original question.... have a detail shop use their special DA equipment to get it back to "new" paint condition, and then maintain it yourself afterwards. Expect about every 18 months to have a pro shop bring your black back to perfect....now, if you have good eyes, plenty of time, and want to lay out money for equipment and product....call Meguires, get them to send you their "Pro Products" catalogs and their "Brilliant Solutions" Catalog. My detail guy used Meguires M09 swirl remover 2.0, followed tih M82 swirl free polish, then M205 ultra finishing polish. I keep the finish looking good with M66 quick detailer to just get the pollen off, and if I want to do a quick wipe down after it is washed and dried I use their D156 synthetic x-press spray wax (it dries clear on black plastic).

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
thx, cruiser: yep, I use one of those microfiber mitts. I should probably try the two bucket method. Im guessing this is done by dunking in a clean bucket and then back in the soap bucket. I usually refill soap bucket 2 times, and always rinse bucket between refills. Then when finished washing, spray down wash mitt and hang dry.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thx, cruiser: yep, I use one of those microfiber mitts. I should probably try the two bucket method. Im guessing this is done by dunking in a clean bucket and then back in the soap bucket. I usually refill soap bucket 2 times, and always rinse bucket between refills. Then when finished washing, spray down wash mitt and hang dry.
I actually put my wash mits in the washing machine with towels and such to shake as much fine grit as I can. I am waiting for a buddy to buy a new washer so I can get his used one to put out in my shop just to wash shop rags, car wash mits, and those clothes that I wear when doing yard work or shop work...you know the kind. I will just dump the wash water out into the yard.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Thanks cruiser, I always just spray off the wash mitt. I also use a Absorber, to dry it with., I think I've been using it wrong though. I always hang dry it after use. This is how I've always used a chamois. And instructions I have read show to store it in plastic can.. It's long gone. So, long story short, I probably made a lot of those swirls/ scratches.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW

Autogeek has all buffers on sale for another 6 hours. I ordered a Rupes buffer yesterday at 23% off list price. I have been wanting this buffer for about a year now.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
spiralout462 is on a distinguished road

spiralout462's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
FWIW

Autogeek has all buffers on sale for another 6 hours. I ordered a Rupes buffer yesterday at 23% off list price. I have been wanting this buffer for about a year now.

Congratulations!! Did you get the 21 or 15?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #19
Old Man Winter

95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
Congratulations!! Did you get the 21 or 15?
Picked up the 15 with a full set of pads. I still think my Lake Country CCS pads will work but wanted to give the Rupes pads a try. I have a detail on a white Range Rover next weekend.

This brings my buffer count up to 4.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
addicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shedaddicted7369 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al
addicted7369's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks,

chris
I use to detail cars proffesionaly I recommend 3m hand glaze followed by a good paste wax use to use it on my show car and gives you a mirror finish.

Products Discussed in this Thread