Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Scratch on tailgate

Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
Connormc11 is on a distinguished road
Connormc11's Tacoma Gallery
Scratch on tailgate

So i was an idiot and carried my bike over my tail gate with a towel instead of my Dikine pad. Is Meguiar's #105 the best thing to get this thing out?
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch on tailgate-photo.jpg  
Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Can you feel those with your fingernail? If you can then nothing will get them out. If you cannot, then 105 with a machine polisher should get it out.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
That stuff should come out really easily.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Connormc11 is on a distinguished road
Connormc11's Tacoma Gallery
No, i can't feel them with my finger nail. I'm pretty sure it was just a small piece of gravel that got under the towel and bounced around on the road. its shallow, but being on a black truck i was scared to do anything that might make it worse.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
U need paint or Plati dip or big sticker
Old 11-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Its a truck, get over it ......

Take it wheelin and get some trail rash to match.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj1 View Post

Not everyone who has a truck, has one to beat the shit out of it. Some of us didn't drop 26K or more in a vehicle to treat like a piece of garbage.

Get a porter cable 7424 or a flex along with the 105, it should come out if you cannot feel it.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj1 View Post

Roger that.

I pussyfooted with my truck for the first 2 years, keeping it pristine. Now I'm not happy unless I come back with trail damage. It's a lifestyle.

Tough guys - 2
Roadmarys - 0
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace96 View Post
Not everyone who has a truck, has one to beat the shit out of it. Some of us didn't drop 26K or more in a vehicle to treat like a piece of garbage.
My truck is far from a piece of garbage. It can just do twice as much as it was manufactured for, just at the small price of some superficial damage.

I'm sure OP won't get cockblocked and have his girlfriend break up with him just because his tailgate has a scratch. Life goes on. Buff it out, put some wax on it, and stop looking at your trucks with a microscope or you'll bust a blood vessel before you're 40.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace96 View Post

Get a porter cable 7424 or a flex along with the 105, it should come out if you cannot feel it.
Wow, someone has sand in their vajayjay........ And I don't treat my Tacoma or Tundra like garbage, I just realize life is too short to sweat a little paint.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but I am tired of hearing its a truck get over it. I don't fret over every little chip or scratch but I do try to take care of it and avoid them if possible. Not everyone on this board wheels their truck.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #12

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Well that escalated quickly.

Ok OP, I've worked miracles with some rubbing compound and wax. Seen deep scratches in the clear coat virtually disappear. Just don't cut too much clear coat away with the rubbing compound and you'll be fine. Wax really fills in the rest.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #14

Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Bitchez be calm now
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
I started off fretting about every little scratch when I first got my truck and after taking it wheeling a few times it really doesn't bother me any more.

You can work some pretty crazy miracles with a polisher and some time. I took my buddies dark green 1st gen taco that was covered in trail rash and made it look nearly new.

Those little scratches are nothing you could probably even finger bomb them out with some swirl remover by the look of it.