1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Primer advice

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Bobert14, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Nov 20, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    Bobert14

Bobert14 [OP] .

Member:
    I'm just about finished getting my '85 pickup stripped down to bare metal. So, this means paint time is getting near. What advice would you guys have for primer? I'm looking for the meanest, most resilient stuff out there. I never want to have to deal with taking stuff down to metal again.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 21, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Go to your local auto paint supply jobber and talk to them. I painted a few cars and have used PPG Deltron products on all of them. Keep in mind that you need to protect yourself from the fumes and overspray especially if there are isocyanates in the primer/paint. For some, just one exposure is all that it takes to be sickened pretty bad. I'd also suggest staying with one product line as it'll significantly decrease the chance of a paint adhesion/interaction failure. Here's the method I typically use on autobody projects: Strip to bare metal, do metal work (replace panels, weld, etc...), coat with epoxy primer, filler and block, coat with epoxy primer, scuff if the recoat window has passed, high build primer, color, clear. It uses a bit of paint this way but I tend to have gaps in time when I can work on the projects. Laying down e-primer first seals the metal giving me time to do any additional body work later. New paints don't just stick by adhesion but they also chemically bond so there are time limits that need to be followed or you typically have to scuff the surface.

Products Discussed in

To Top