Notices

Really Tough Water Spots - Please help - w/pics

Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
NickM is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Nick
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
Really Tough Water Spots - Please help - w/pics

Hey guys, My 2011 is looking rough with these gnar water spots. I lived in NC where they started. I nor live in Delaware and it continues. I was on city with a softener at my old house. now i'm on well with water treatment and softener. I always dry the car after washing but i'm thinking this may be rain deposits? I tried vinegar and Zymol HD cleanse hoping it would help - nope. I wax about 2x a year. The windows are bad to but i use a razor blade on them and it does the trick. obviously the razor trick can't be done with the paint. Anyone know of an awesome product or technique? These pics were taken tonight after full hd cleanse and wax - Meguiars NXT
Attached Thumbnails
Really Tough Water Spots - Please help - w/pics-photo-1.jpg   Really Tough Water Spots - Please help - w/pics-photo-2.jpg   Really Tough Water Spots - Please help - w/pics-photo-3.jpg   Really Tough Water Spots - Please help - w/pics-photo-4.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Master Navigator/Zipper Operator
Germ is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shedGerm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Germ's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried a clay bar?
Old 11-23-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Coast Guard:
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
I tried a clay bar on half the hood. after i saw no improvement i decided against the labor afterwards
Old 11-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Colt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedColt562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Colt562's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing that has worked for me is vinegar. But since you already used it, not really sure. Let me see if I can find anything to help you out.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
If the clar bar won't touch it might try vinager, clr, or lime-away... check the instructions for use on painted surfaces though. I know on my aluminum boat clr works great... wipes off hard water spots better than anything else i've tried over the years. After the clr i go over it with mothers detail spray and it shines like a mirror. Another thing to try out... Meguirers scratch and swirl remover.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
Coast Guard:
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the HD Cleanse claims it removes hard water and acid rain stains but these have been there a while and i know i can do it if i get a grit wax and high speed buffer but I'm nervous about burning the paint since I'm not experienced.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Coast Guard:
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
If the clar bar won't touch it might try vinager, clr, or lime-away... check the in instructions for use on painted surfaces though. I know on my aluminum boat clr works great... wipes off hard water spots better than anything else i've tried over the years. After the clr i go over it with mothers detail spray and it shines like a mirror.

Awesome idea, never even thought about Lime away or CLR
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
cheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shedcheeseit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cheeseit's Tacoma Gallery
You might have to wet sand them out. Sometimes stuff like that eats into the clear coat a bit so you need to actually remove some clear to correct it. Bird shit is reallllllyyyyy bad for doing that.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
I would polish with a porter cable or flex 3401 before you jump to wet sand. Polishing will probably get them out.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Have a detailer friend that has a bottle of something that basically says "hard water spot remover". I'll see if I can get the brand name or whatever for it, but I've seen it clean that right up.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
Coast Guard:
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe i'll give it a high speed power buff. I will also search for the hard spot remover. on sanding use like 2000 grit? not so sure about that...
Old 11-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
Try meguiars ultimate compound.

I detail cars with it and it removes water spots, rust stains, scratched and discoloration.

Love it! Made my girlfriends old 99 saturn look like brand new and same with a 2006 fusion I did.

My water is also stupid, if I don't dry my truck I can litterally go outside and see salt/chlorine whatever it is crystals where the water dried. I used to live out in the country with a well and never had more than a few water spots. Now I live in the city and every spot there was a drip of water has a water stain.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Sanding should be the last resort. Shouldn't need a high speed buffer, a dual action should fine.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
TACO LOVER!
!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement:
Name: Felix
!TacoTaco!'s Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd, I have a dull hood so I am hoping some of the suggestions you guys have made will help me out too.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
A7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7xschecter6661 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
A7xschecter6661's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixh View Post
Sub'd, I have a dull hood so I am hoping some of the suggestions you guys have made will help me out too.

Meguiars ultimate compound

before

After- it's a 1999 saturn!

Here is a car I started for a customer, showing him the product at work. Sun baked hood? Not anymore- I did the spot in the middle just with meguiars ultimate compound and a microfiber cloth
Old 11-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Awesome idea, never even thought about Lime away or CLR
I assume you could use this to get hard water spots off windows?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Coast Guard:
NickM's Tacoma Gallery
I will try clr or lime-a- way on windows first. Same spots so if it works there it should work on paint. I will be careful on paint. I will also try the Meguires compound. Post some pics this wee
Old 11-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #18
Mrallank is on a distinguished road
Mrallank's Tacoma Gallery
Im surprised that the clay bar didn't work. If the swirl remover doesn't get it then a mild compound will. you don't need a buffer just polish it in with a pad.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
a progressive polish with a good buffer'll get out those spots. looks like theyve etched into the clear coat, so a clay bar wouldn't be much help