Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Detailing

Notices

Harbor Freight DA polisher

Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Chrisg has a spectacular aura aboutChrisg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
Harbor Freight DA polisher

Hey dudes, I talked to the guy's at meguiar's, they said to use a DA polisher. I have a random orbit, and he said only use for spreading wax. I want to use the swirlX product to start with. I have some nasty swirls on the truck I want to get rid of.

I seen Harbor Freight has a DA polisher on sale for $60. It looks pretty good by the pics. I've seen reviews saying the mounting pad sucks. But, can be corrected with a $10 5 inch pad.

Has anyone used this polisher? Don't want to spend lots of $$$ for a name brand when I can use the saved $$$ on better waxes/polish

chris
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Go for a Porter cable 7424 DA polisher. You can find kits cheap with pads, back plates and compound. Autopia.org

Mine has been kick'n since 2005. Detail one or two cars on the side it'll pay for itself !
Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Get the porter cable. Had mine for about 3 years. Even used it to sand my wood deck.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
anotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud ofanotherreject has much to be proud of
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know how much the porter cable costs but everyone swears by them. If you are on a budget and the harbor freight is a lot cheaper then give it a try.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
Smurf it.
Guerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuerrilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: 00
Guerrilla's Tacoma Gallery
Never used a harbor freight DA, but some of the cheaper brand air tools really aren't that bad if you're not going to be using them all the time. But be sure which ever you decide on, to oil it good before using it, or you'll screw the bearings up.

Keep in mind too when you're using a DA to polish/wax with or any machine polisher. Routinely clean and check pad for grit/debris because it will scratch your paint to turd. You probably already know that, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
BuddyS is on a distinguished road
BuddyS's Tacoma Gallery
I second the porter cable, too. It's a quality tool. I use my for car detailing and also for sanding. Never been disappointed with its performance.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
uncrx2003 is on a distinguished road
Name: Minh
uncrx2003's Tacoma Gallery
I have used my porter cable one time. Let me know if you want to buy it. I have given up trying to detail my cars.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Chrisg has a spectacular aura aboutChrisg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
Chrisg's Tacoma Gallery
Pm sent uncrx